Do I Always Have to Make the First Move?

“If you need anything, you know where my room is.” Aaron gestured towards the opposite side of the house.

I gave him a small nod.  “And if you need anything, you know where my room is.” I gestured towards the side of me, where the bedroom door was slightly cracked, letting the light bleed out of the room.

The corner of his mouth perked up into a small smirk.  “I might have to take you up on that.”

I backed up, pushing the door open.  “Goodnight, Aaron.”  I smiled, and turned around to enter the room.  I closed the door behind me, and leaned against it for support.  I was getting butterflies and that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach again.  The only feeling Aaron could give me.  Kale never brought me that, only Aaron could.

                I stripped my clothing, and put on a pair of cotton shorts and a t-shirt.  The t-shirt I had put on was the one Aaron had given me before we even admitted feelings towards one another.  I pulled my hair into a tight pony tail, and got under the blanket.  The familiar feel of the bed brought back good childhood memories, despite what had happened here.  I was surprised Aaron would even want me to come back here.  I haven’t been here since the accident with his father.  Now remembering, my chest tightened and I didn’t want to be alone.

                I climbed out of bed, and padded across the house, the cold tiles stinging my feet.  I reached Aaron’s room, and placed my hand on the handle.  I pulled down, and didn’t think to knock.  I quickly covered my eyes, and I could hear Aaron chuckle.  “I’m really sorry.” I rushed, and started backing out of the room with my eyes still covered.

He laughed.  “It’s fine.  Don’t go.”

I stopped.

                “I’m dressed.” He stated with another soft laugh.

I peeked through my middle and pointer finger to make sure.  He had on a pair of boxers, and he was drying his hair with a towel.  I dropped my hand, and sighed with relief.  “I should have knocked.  I’m really sorry.”

He smirked.  “Stop apologizing.  You came in here for something.  You okay?” he asked, setting the towel down.

I nodded slowly, but surely.  “I couldn’t sleep.”

His face fell. “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have asked you to come here—”

                “I’m trying not to think about that.”

He took another step closer.  “Still, I was thinking.  I shouldn’t have asked you to come here.  I know you haven’t been back since.”

I pushed a smile.  “I’m over it.” I tried to be convincing, but I felt the tears sting my eyes and my bottom lip started to quiver.

I felt Aaron’s arms go around my shoulders, and he pulled me against his chest.  My cheek pressed against his warm, yet damp skin.  “You can sleep in here.  I’ll protect you.  I’ll always be here to protect you.” He said softly. His breath reached down my neck, sending chills down my spine.

I took a deep breath to keep the tears from spilling over.  One of his hands strokes the back of my hair, and I feel like I could breathe again.

                He left a small kiss on the top of my head, and pulled away.  He walked towards the bed, and turned down the blanket.  He gestured for me to come into bed, and I did.  He climbed into the spot next to me, and we faced each other.  “If you want me to take you home, I will.” Aaron’s voice was low.

                “I don’t want to.  I want to be here, with you.  That’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

I could hear the smile in his voice when he responded.  “I’m not going anywhere.”