three

when hoseok peeled his eyelids open from his fitful slumber the next day, he had two things in his mind: what he will eat for breakfast and, where's those god-awful truck noises coming from?

the digital numbers on his alarm clock read 10:37 am. he rubs the sleep out of his eyes with his fists, pads his feet to where the window is, and parts the curtains. summer sunlight directly attacks his eyes and seeps through his room, making spots dance in his vision. once his sight clears, the first thing he sees is the offending truck whirring noisily. there are a couple of boxes lying on the sidewalk, right in front of the next door's front porch. "new neighbour, huh?" he murmurs to himself.

he catches sight of a figure, a man dressed in black from head to toe, lugging a box bigger than the upper half of his body. hoseok thinks his new neighbour might need some help.

throwing on a loose tank top, sweatpants, and a backwards snapback to hide his bird's nest of a bedhead, he walks outside and watches the man struggle with the boxes.

leaning against his doorway, hoseok decides to ask, "need some help, new neighbour?"

the man nearly drops the box in his arms and whips his head in hoseok's direction. hoseok quirks an eyebrow before walking to where the vehicle is, hauling the biggest box he could find. hoseok has always been called a show-off, and well, if the shoe fits, then he might as well take it.

he catches up to his neighbour, walking alongside him with boxes snug in their arms. hoseok side-eyes said man and nearly blanches. that nose and those pair of lips look... familiar. too familiar, because that nose is the same button nose he knows all too well. those lips are the same delicate lips he had imagined brushing against his own, although devoid of shimmer. his silver hair, although brushed back with a black beanie resting atop his head is the same silver hair he had seen accessorized with bows and clips, and his skin is the same shade as the daisy petal skin of...

...but that can't be, can it?

new neighbour turns his head and hoseok averts his gaze, avoiding eye contact. come to think of it, didn't sugarmin say he's going to move somewhere? but this guy... he's dressed in a black shirt layered with a leather jacket despite the summer sun, black tight jeans, and combat boots – so, so different from sugarmin who drapes himself in silk, berets, and lingerie. (the image of pink panties underneath all the guy's all-black attire floats in hoseok's mind for a fleeting moment, but not without him berating himself mentally for thinking inappropriate things about his neighbour when said neighbour is just there.)

turns out, the guy's eyes are still trained on hoseok. hoseok realized when he tries to catch a glimpse but sees his neighbour peering up at him (he's half a head shorter than hoseok... cute.).

"something wrong?" new neighbour's voice cuts through the terse silence. his voice is deep and rough, but not unpleasant to listen to. different from what he expects sugarmin would sound like, but is this even sugarmin? it's making hoseok do a double take. a twin? hoseok doesn't know.

the realization that he still hasn't answered the guy crashes over him. hoseok meets the other's eyes with his own and his words almost, almost gets stuck in his throat. his eyes are... hoseok can't find a word to describe it other than pretty. his eye shape is what catches hoseok's attention. it's unique. quite triangular, resembling a cat.

hoseok exhales through his nose. "fine. i'm fine. it's just... morning, you know?" he makes a show of squinting his eyes narrowly at the sun.

"oh, you can just put it there." new neighbour motions to his front porch with his puckered lips. hoseok sets the box down, stretching his arms after. "and i get it," he continues. "i'm not a morning person either, y'know?"

hoseok chuckles before shaking his head. "oh, no. i love the sun. feels warm and good," he explains, to which the other makes an affronted face to. "but i haven't been getting enough sleep lately, and waking up to this fucking bright light assaulting my tired eyes... not the best way to wake up."

they carry boxes together, filling the silence with idle chatter. hoseok pointedly ignores the way new neighbour's nose scrunches up when he picks up a particularly heavy box, or the way he taps his index finger to his lips when he's wondering how he should decorate his room out loud.

when they finally finish hauling the boxes, new neighbour asks him if he wants to stay for a bit and have coffee as payment for helping him. hoseok shakes his head and tells him that he doesn't need any kind of payment for being a decent person, though he supposes a name would suffice.

hoseok still leaves with a cup of coffee in his hand and the name 'min yoongi' in his head.