Chapter 1 : Missing

I finish to apply a second layer of mascara and take a quick moment to stare at my reflection. I smile at myself; satisfied of my art.

I suddenly hear glass shattering downstairs followed by my parents yelling and arguing. I roll my eyes and press my fingers against my temples.

They never get along. I pray every single night that they will get a divorce, but they never do. They think it'll affect me and my sister too much. They think we need them to be together in order to have a happy and healthy family.

But in reality, we really don't.

I stand up from my vanity and walk downstairs, hesitating to take another step to reach the living room where the action is taking place.

"Bill, how many times do I have to tell you?! They can't be trusted! You can't put all of our savings into this "affair" or whatever you want to call this bullshit arrangement!" my mother hollers and throws all sorts of things at my father repeatedly. Cushions, vases, books... Anything that surrounds her.

I lean against the ramp of the stairs; contemplating their fight with both disappointment and boredom. They keep yelling at each other like wild beasts.

I call them like that sometimes. To me; they would make a perfect duo for a circus. They are different in so many ways. It's like a tigress and a lion.

"Are you guys done?" I pick at a loose thread on my sweatshirt and silence falls upon the room. My mother lowers her hand and drops the book that she was harshly holding, looking at me with sadness. My father slowly turns his head to me, probably wishing I didn't see or hear any of this.

"Can I... peacefully walk to the kitchen without getting hit by a flying object, please?" I sarcastically smile and make my way to the kitchen, letting them return to their wilderness. My mother's voice raises by the second as she walks towards me. She enters the kitchen like a whirlwind, whipping her head around to throw some more threats at my poor dad.

I pour myself a tall glass of apple juice and lean against the counter, sipping my drink like some fine wine and staring intensely at my parents as if they were the perfect action movie.

"Will you listen to me for God's sake?" my father walks in the kitchen and I almost choke on my juice.

I thought he would've learned how to talk properly to my mom over the years. Everyone in town knows how she feels about arrogant people.

She turns around and walks up to him, inches away from his face.

"No. I won't. You need to open your eyes and realize who you're messing with." she snaps before opening the fridge with the force of a mama bear.

"The Millars are great people, Andrea. When are you-"

"The Millars?" I cut him off and almost drop my cup. They both turn to me, speechless. "Are you seriously going to associate with them? Dad, they have the worst reputation in town! They steal money from everyone! They're bad news." my eyes follow my father's body while he walks to the sink next to me. He splashes his face with cold water and gently presses a towel against his skin to dry his complexion.

"You know what I'm thinking?" my sister walks in with a big smile on her lips. She takes an apple from the fruit bowl and gives me a malicious look. "I think you should let dad do whatever the hell he wants and come to the movies with me." she winks and takes a bite out of the red fruit.

"Carrie, it's our college money we're talking about here! But anyways... I can't. I have a date with Grayson tonight." I purse my lips and look down since I know she'll be disappointed.

"Ugh... fine. I guess I'll just hang out with Michael..." she leans against the counter next to me and pulls out her phone to text Michael.

"Do you really like that guy?" my gaze moves down to her phone where I notice a heart emoji next to the guy's name.