Chapter 5 : Blood

I keep staring at his features, the clock hanging on the wall above us ticking slowly. I roll to my back and heave a sigh, interlocking my fingers together over my bare stomach, free of covers.

"Hey..." a raspy voice whispers next to me. I smile in the darkness, turning my face to see Grayson's eyes closed still. He had a light smile curled up on his pink lips. I shift around to face him and rest my head against my hand, pushing my body upwards.

"Hey." is all I manage to say. It's 4 AM, I didn't want to blow out a full conversation, especially since I just woke him up.

"What are you doing here?" he brings his hand up to his eyes to rub them tiredly as a strained yawn escapes his mouth. I chuckle softly before looking down at my shaking fingers.

"I couldn't sleep." I finally look at him and this time, his eyes are opened. They stare back at mines with their spark of hazel, almost shining in the dark. My gaze swerves between his two eyes, contemplating the differences and similarities.

"When did you get here?"

"2 AM. I didn't want to wake you-"

"Baby you can wake me up at any hour. Day or night. If you need me, I'll be there for you. Okay?" his hand cups my cheek softly, his thumb brushing against my skin. I press my cheek harder in his hands and nod, earning a smile from his tired face. I carefully take his hand away from me cheek to play with his fingers, my eyebrows instantly falling closer to my eyes as I'm focusing on his hand. A strand of hair falls down onto my face and before I even have time to replace it, Grayson brings his free hand up to my face and tucks the lock behind my ear, making me look down into his eyes since his head is still resting on the pile of pillows.

He flashes me one of his warm smiles, the cheeky ones that indent his dimples. I return the gesture before leaning in and pecking the edge of his lips. I put my head down on the pillows and turn around to glue my back against Grayson's bare abs. He wraps his muscular arms around my body and pulls me closer, placing a soft kiss on my cheek before we both close our eyes and go back to sleep.

The sleep I never even found in the first place.

-----

"Where are we going, Gray?" I whine as he tugs on my arm, pulling me towards him so I can reach his pace. I walk lazily behind him, tired of walking for so long. I blow air up onto my forehead to push some strands of hair away, making him turn his head to me as he keeps walking. He grins widely, his lips showing an almost malicious smile. I roll my eyes and groan, knowing damn well he won't tell me where he's taking me.

"Just trust me." is what he's been repeating for the past 30 minutes.

"I don't fucking trust your creepy ass." I look away in the distance, fighting the smile creeping its way to my mouth. He turns around once more, glaring at me with the same grin as before.

"You like my ass, shut up." he looks in front of him and I open my mouth in surprise and disbelief. I decide to give him a hard slap on the butt, making the both of us erupt in laughter. A comfortable silence settles over us as we keep walking for what seems like forever.

We finally reach a beautiful lake surrounded by what seems to be a million pine trees. My mouth falls open in awe, my eyes widening a bit to take in the breathtaking scenery in front of us. I turn my head to Grayson, looking him up and down. The moonlight reflects onto his face, illuminating his features as he stares down at the calm water. He finally looks back at me and my lips seal shut to show him a toothless smile. He smiles back and slides his hand down mine to intertwine our fingers together.

We both begin to walk towards the lake when I suddenly trip onto something, making me fall to the ground and bringing Grayson down as well. I roll to my side and I stare at what I stumbled onto. My face becomes blank, my eyes draining out of color, my skin turning white, my heart skipping a beat. Breathing seems impossible at the moment as I try to comprehend what I'm staring at.