Chapter Four

Dylan's POV

Somehow I managed to get to her without being noticed. I saw her spine stiffen when I touched her hair. My hands were somehow steady enough and I was able to fix her clip. When I was done she turned around and smiled at me. "What did you just do?" She was staring up at me with those perfect blue eyes and I forgot how to talk. "Dylan?"

"Huh?" I said, finding my voice again. "What did you just do?" She asked again, this time a bit more firmly, like she was demanding an answer from me. "Um, uh, well you kinda had a... I mean, your hair clippy thing was falling out your hair so I fixed it."

"Oh. That's... actually quite thoughtful, thanks." I nodded and just continued to stand there, staring at her. Jesus, she was beautiful. "Dylan?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"Is there something else you wanted? You're staring at me and its kinda freaking me out."

"No, there's nothing else that I wanted." She nodded then there was this long awkward pause. She rocked back and forth on her legs and shrugged her shoulders.

"Then, um, can you be weird somewhere else? I'm kinda busy. I'll talk to you online."

"So you can talk to me online but you can't talk to me at school?" I don't know where I got the courage to say that.

"Lemme put it this way; I'm Ashley Green okay? Everyone knows me. You're Dylan O'Ryan, no one knows you."

"It's actually Dylan O'Brien."

"Exactly, no one knows you. I mean you're hot, in a nerdy kind of way. Still, that doesn't mean I want to be seen with you in public. So please go be weird somewhere else. If you stay here longer the stench of your suck is gonna be left on me." Her friends laughed and she looked proud of herself. I nodded and made my way over to Alex with a fake smile on my face. There was no way I was gonna let her know she was right.

"So, how did it go?" She asked the minute I sat down.

"Awesome actually, thanks for the advice." She smiled and shrugged.

"It was my pleasure. Now stop feeding me horse shit and tell me exactly how 'awesome' describes the look on your face when she was talking to you. You looked crushed. What did she say?"

"Look, I don't want to talk about it okay?"

"Was it that bad?"

"On the bright side she did tell me I was hot in a nerdy kinda way. Is that a good thing?"

"The only good thing about a hot nerd is a hot nerd with a British accent."

"You mean like Kyle."

"Yes, he could read me the dictionary and I'd love it." I stared at her and she continued talking. Why couldn't I be in love with her? It would make everything so much easier.

Well, not necessarily because in no universe was being in love with your best friend easy in any way. Still, though, why did I fall for Ashley’s sexy blue eyes instead of Alex's captivating brown ones? Why wasn't I drawn to how, even though she wore close to no make-up to school she still managed to look incredibly beautiful. Why did I like the salon styled blondness of Ashley's hair but didn't appreciate how, even though she hardly did anything to her hair, Alex still managed to look good? I did I fall for the fancy clothes that Ashley wore, but over looked how Alexis dressed like a hobo but still looked hot as... well, hot as Ashley.

Why didn't I notice? She was my best friend, that’s why. I wasn't suppose to notice how her smile started from the left side of her mouth before spreading to the right or the way her eyes lit up when she was talking about her stories or how her laugh sounded like melted chocolate, if melted chocolate had a sound. Fact of the matter was; she was my best friend and I wasn't supposed to notice how perfect she was.