Chapter Twenty-one (Epilogue-ish)

This story was amazing to write. I actually never would've finished if it wasn't for my friend Kimmy. So thank yuh for pushing me!!! I'm so so so so sad to see this end. I mean, I was done with this story for months now but it's sad that this is the last chapter to post. I love you guys for reading and I never expexted to past 100 reads. Much less 500. You are amazing!! 

Here we go.. 

***

Four Months Later

It had been four months since Alex died and everyone who said it would get easier; lied through their ass.

It had not gotten easier, in fact it had gotten worse, if that was even possible. I'd become lethargic and I didn't give a shit anymore.

The new school year had started two weeks ago and I didn't even know what the inside of any of those classrooms looked like. No one knew I haven’t gone to classes yet. Every morning I'd leave, drive around town then end up at Alex's grave. I'd sit there for hours at a time pretending that she was there with me, pretending that nothing hadn't changed.

That was where I was headed now. At 11:45pm on Sunday night I was on my way to my best friend's grave. I was cradling a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and a torch light and my copy of Simply Me in the other. When I got to her grave I read her tombstone for the millionth time.

'Alexis Judith Lanchester 14th September, 1994 - 13th June, 2014. Daughter, Friend, Motivator.'

Her book had become very popular in the last four months because, apparently, everyone listened more when you're dead. It was ironic, really. She was ignored in high school and she was teased because she just used to sit in a corner and write. She had to die for her voice to be heard and everybody was starting to make a big deal about it.

They didn't deserve to make a big deal about it. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Alex. In my own way I was trying to protect her memory.She should be remembered for more than just a book.

She was my best friend. She was the love of my life. She was a daughter.

She was... Alexis.

She should've been remembered for so much more. Like her laugh, or her weird lopsided smile, or just her presence. She shoul be remembered because she was Alex and not because she wrote some life changing book.

I'd lost count of how many calls I'd received in the last four months to do interviews. The world wanted to meet the guy behind the name Dylan O'Brien. Everyone wanted to meet the guy who Alexis loved so much she almost based an entire novel about him. They wanted to meet the guy Alex wanted but couldn't have. But they'd get it all wrong because they didn't know the real story. I did love Alex and I was her's, just as much as she was mine. 

"Hey Alex." I said sitting and bracing on her tombstone.

"I'm sorry I came so late today.  I just didn't feel up to getting out of bed. I got three more calls today. I keep telling them 'No.' but they're not taking the hint. I just wish you were here." I sniffed squeezing my eyes shut and willing the tears not to flow.

"Like, I miss you so much. Every day I keep saying I should've died that day. You had so much to live for. When you died I realized you were all I lived for. Now I'm just an empty shell of my real self. I'm just a fucking waste and I'm ready to die." I took a swing of the bottle and closed my eyes as I felt the liquid burn going down.

"I keep asking myself 'What do you have to live for?' I just want to hear from you one more time Alex. Just one last time. If I'd known that day would be your last; I would've never made you go to the lake. If I'd known that that morning was the last morning I was gonna wake up next to you; I would've never fallen asleep. If I'd know that was the last time I'd hug you; I'd never let you go. If I had the slightest idea that that would have been our last summer..." I didn't even get to finish the sentence because I choked on the lump in my throat. I willed myself not to cry.

"If I'd known that was our last summer I'd, I'd, I'd ask for one more. Please Alex, I'm begging you; I just really need to hear from you one last time. Just please let me know that you're okay. Please."

A very strong wind blew, knocking the bottle and sending it rolling down the hill. When I looked down the book was opened and I read what was on the page.

'I wish sometimes, no, I wish all the time that Dylan would know how special he is. Whenever I tell him that he thinks I'm just saying it because he's my best friend. I wish he knew how strong and incredibly talented he was. I hate seeing him lose himself; I hate seeing him sell himself short because of a girl like Ashley.  A girl who was too stupid to realize that she'd snatched up a winner. If anything, I want Dylan to know he's been my strength. He's the reason I could write. He's the reason I'm who I am and I'll be forever grateful that I met him. The thing I love the most about Dylan was that he faced his problems head on. He wasn't like normal teenage boys who used Jack Daniels to help them with their problems. Dylan O'Brien was a fighter and he always won.'

I'd read her book more times than I could count.

I read that passage more times than I could remember. But I've nerver read it like this.

I smiled and looked up to the starry sky. "Thank you Alex." I said getting up and dusting myself off.

I needed some sleep if I was going to catch my class in the morning. 

***

Oh my God it's finally over. I didn't want to post this.. I was stalling for as long as I could've because posting this meant the story was gonna be over. I had so much fun writing this (especially the last few chapters). To every single person who ever read; thank you so much.

I say it a lot but you don't understand... it means the world that you read and it means even more that you guys liked it so  so much. I've started another Dylan story because.. well; Dylan is bae and I'll always love writing about him. I'll post that some time later when  have enough chapters. That way you won't be waiting to long for me to update.

Again, thank you so so much for reading. I love your sexy faces.

Kimberly: thank you so so much more pushing me to write this one.. I'll be sending you random Ashton and Nathan imagines for a very long time.

Thank You:

Aquaicobrien. Check out her story Insane.

Louischapme, MSEngel02, Smell_The_Limes, LatiahStarks, 24brooke28, tipp_p, MeganWasaff, Calum_Hood24

If I missed anyone I'm so so sorry but thank you all for leaving your comments!!

Okay.. this was lone (and a bit cheesy). See you on the flip side aka when I post the other Dylan story.

Give my other stories a read (if you want to). I love, love, love, your sexy faces.

It's paining me to click 'Save & Publish'. argh!! Goodbye Alex. 

Yolo  (5SOS fans would get this),

Abigail.