Abandoned Warehouse

With a slam of the door, Sherlock was gone. Lestrade's expression was wearied; it seemed that he had to put up with behavior like this from Sherlock all the time.

     Anderson was the one to take action. "Okay, let's get on with it!" he shouted, herding up the other forensics officers and sending them downstairs. Some rudely pushed aside you and John on their way. Normally, you would have been very angry at them, but right now you were more worried for John. He looked embarrassed. 

     "Come on, then, John," you said when Anderson's team had finally filed out. "Let's go." And you helped him on his way as he limped down the stairs.

     As the two of you exited the building, you noticed how busy it all was, as if Sherlock's presence made everyone have some new purpose. John was scanning the area for Sherlock. You shook your head at him sympathetically. 

     "He's gone," came a voice from behind; Donovan. 

     "Sherlock Holmes?" asked John.

     "Yeah," Sally said. She looked between the two of you sardonically. "He just took off. He does that."

     "Is he coming back?" John asked you.

     "Obviously not," you replied. "We'll have to go get a cab. Come along, John." [Come along, Pond. *]

     You guided him out of the crime scene. He looked humiliated, and you knew that he wanted to apologize for his leg, but didn't actually want to bring it up with you. 

     Before you got very far with him, Sally called, "Hey."

     The two of you turned, and she went on. "You're not his friends," she said. "Sherlock Holmes does not have friends. So who are you?"

     John grimaced. "I'm- I'm nobody. I only just met him."

     "And you?" Sally asked, aiming her inquiry toward you.

     "I'm the same. Dr. Watson here is my friend," you stated matter-of-factly. 

     "So neither of you are actually much connected to him?" She asked for confirmation. You nodded. "Bit of advice, then," Donovan said. "Stay away from Sherlock Holmes."

     "Why?" John asked, ready to defend Sherlock. You stared at him, appalled. Obviously he was forming some sort of trust with Holmes, which insulted you, especially when it had taken you so long  to become John's friend(... more or less). 

     "He's not paid or anything," Sally explained. "He likes it, to be here. He gets off on it. In fact, the weirder the crime, the more he gets off. And you know what? Once day just showing up won't be enough. One day we'll be standing round a body, and Sherlock Holmes will be the one who put it there." 

     You gave a strained smile. "Oh?"

     She nodded. "And you, Miss. You're almost just the same. You especially should distance yourself from that psychopath. You'll get stuck like that."

     You shook your head slowly, smiling with no humor. Her comment struck a little close to home. 

     "He's a psychopath!" Sally insisted. "Psychopath's get bored."

     "So do I," you replied menacingly, earning a stare from the disparaged woman. You winked to shake up her nerves a bit more.

     "Donovan!" Lestrade called from across the street.