Blurhdeher Cupboardman

When you heard the gunshot, you knew something was wrong.

     You raced downstairs and out the door to find John out of breath with wide eyes.

     He explained to you what had happened- the story of your friend seeing Sherlock about to take the pill through the window, and finding that he had no choice but to shoot the killer. Soon, police started to arrive on the scene, and the two of you went to go talk to Donovan. Right away, John put up the act that he'd only just gotten there. You played along. 

    The two of you were pretending to listen to Donovan talk about what Sherlock had just been through- or perhaps John actually was listening, but you couldn't tell- (why would he be doing that anyway when her droning was just so terribly boring?) when Sherlock walked up with a blanket. You couldn't read his expression.

     "Sergeant Donovan's been explaining everything. Two pills? Dreadful business, dreadful," John said. You winced at his terrible acting.

     "Good shot," Sherlock commented quietly with a mischievous look. 

     John blinked. "Yeah, it must have been, through that window," he replied. 

     You rolled your eyes as Sherlock responded with "Well, you'd know," causing John's ears to go red.

     "You'll need to get those powder burns out of your finger," you told him amusedly. 

     Sherlock grinned. "Don't suppose you'd serve time for it, but best to avoid the court case. You all right?"

     "Of course I'm all right."

     "Well, you have just killed a man."

    "True." John nodded.

      You elbowed John playfully. "But he wasn't a very nice man," you remarked with a smirk, which earned a smile from your friend. 

    "And frankly," he added," a bloody awful cabbie!"

     Sherlock laughed at this lightly. "Yeah, true, a very bad cabbie. You should've seen the route he took to get me here." 

     The three of you started snickering like little kids, but John made an effort to suppress his laughing. "Stop it, we can't giggle!" he exclaimed through his own tittering. "It's a bloody crime scene; stop."

     "Don't blame us," Sherlock retorted in a joking manner. "You're the one that shot him!"

     You hit him in the arm. "You could maybe keep your voice down a bit!" That sent the boys into a flurry of giggles, and despite yourself, you joined in. Then you noticed Sergeant Donovan staring from the other side of the lot- too far to overhear, thankfully.

     "Sorry!" you called. "It's just nerves!" 

     John and Sherlock stopped laughing. "Sorry," said Sherlock, though you could tell he was still amused. So were you. 

     John turned to Sherlock, wearing a more serious expression now. "You were going to take the pill, weren't you?"

     Sherlock winced. "Of course not. I knew you'd show up. I was playing for time." 

     "No, you didn't!" you scoffed. Holmes shot you a warning glance.

     "That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? Risking your life to prove you're clever," muttered John angrily.

     "Why would I do that?" Sherlock asked. 

      You raised a brow. "Because you're an idiot, obviously."