A Drugs Bust

John and Sherlock came into to the flat out of breath. "Mrs. Hudson!" rang out Sherlock's low voice from the front. "John will take the room upstairs!"

     You and Mrs. Hudson came out of her downstairs room just as John stepped back inside the building holding his cane.

     "What've you done, Sherlock?" Mrs. Hudson whimpered.

     "What?"

     "Upstairs," you said. Sherlock looked you up and down briefly and exchanged a look with John.

     They raced up the stairs together. You followed more slowly, quite satisfied at the way Sherlock burst into the room in a state of panic, but also pleased that John wasn't using the cane anymore. When you got there, Lestrade was sitting in Sherlock's chair, looking through Jennifer Wilson's case. The room had a few policemen rummaging through Sherlock's items.

     "What're you doing?" Sherlock demanded.

     "Well, I knew you'd find the case," Lestrade answered calmly. "I'm not stupid."

     "But you can't just break into my flat!" Sherlock exclaimed indignantly.

     "Well, you can't withhold evidence! And I didn't break into your flat."

     Sherlock pointed at the people in his kitchen and asked in an aggravated tone, "Well, what do you call this, then?"

     "A drugs bust," you replied for Lestrade.

     Sherlock swung round to face you and stared in disbelief. "Did you call them here?" he asked.

     Before you could answer, John expressed his own bewilderment. "Seriously? This guy, a junkie? Have you met him? You could search this flat all day, and you wouldn't find anything you could call recreational-"

     "John, you probably want to shut up now," Sherlock muttered quietly to the doctor, still looking at you sideways.

     "Yeah, but come on-" John broke off when he caught Sherlock's warning glare. He gave the slightest shake of his head.

     "No!" John gaped. Sherlock's head was low; he looked like a cornered puppy. "You!?"

     "Shut up!" Sherlock snapped, affronted. He turned to Lestrade. "I'm not your sniffer dog."

     "No, Anderson's my sniffer dog."

     "Wha-" Sherlock spun round to the kitchen to find that Anderson was one of the people searching the kitchen. He waved.

     "What are you doing here on a drugs bust?" Sherlock demanded.

     "Oh, I volunteered," Anderson answered maliciously.

     "They all did," Lestrade clarified. "Not all strictly speaking on the drugs squad, but they're very keen."

     "This is childish," Sherlock whined.

     "Yes, but they're dealing with a child," you laughed.

     "Who's acting like more of the child right now, me or you?" Sherlock snapped. "You set up a pretend drugs bust just to bully me?"

     "Stops being pretend if they find anything."

     Sherlock's gaze hardened. "I'm clean."

     "Oh, I know," you replied. "But I spent quite a bit of time with the police force back in Chelmsford, and I know how things are done. You've got to learn."