[Chapter 1] Kalel's Sister

Author's Note: Okay, you guys should know by now that I'm always changing my characters names. So, instead of Nova, THE SISTER'S NAME IS NOW LENNOX. Alright? Okay, I just want to say thanks for the votes already and I hope you enjoy this chapter! -rac06h10ael

I was shuffling through my dresser drawers - looking for my jeans. I had school today, it was the first day since summer, and I was going to be late if I didn't find them soon. I threw the drawers closed in frustration and turned to my closet, swinging the doors open and scanning the racks and shelves up and down. "MOM!" I shouted from my bedroom, slamming the closet doors closed and rushing out of my room, "I CAN'T FIND MY JEANS!"

"DID YOU CHECK THE LAUNDRY ROOM?" She shouted back to me from wherever she was in the house.

I rolled my eyes and descended the two flights of staircases into the basement. I walked into the dark laundry room and flipped the light switch. I heaved a sigh and began to look through the laundry basket full of dirty clothes.

"MOM, THEY'RE NOT DOWN HERE!"

"WELL, CHECK AGAIN!" She yelled.

"Fuck this," I murmured under my breath as I stormed upstairs and rushed past Kristen's bedroom where, through the crack of her door, I could she was looking at herself in the mirror. I retraced my steps and pushed open her door all the way. She looked over at me and grinned.

"Hey, Len," She greeted, "Do you like them?" I looked down at her jeans - and I knew they were mine. Except they had rips up and down the legs.

I crossed my arms over my chest, "Are those mine?"

"No..." She lied, turning away from me and looking at her reflection once again, "If they were, they wouldn't have rips on them, now, would they?"

"You ripped them, Kristen!" I shouted at her.

"For the hundredth time, Lennox, it's Kalel!"

"I don't care, Kristen, those were my pants! I didn't give you the right to wear them! Let alone destroy them!"

"Oh, calm down. I didn't destroy them," My sister replied as she walked over to her desk, picked up her bag off of her chair, and slung it over her shoulder, "I made them look better." And with that, she walked past me and pat me on the shoulder. I shook my head in disbelief and walked out of her room.

"You know, it'd be nice if you asked me before taking my stuff for your stupid Wonderland Wardrobe DIY projects!" I said as she walked down the stairs and towards the front door to meet up with her boyfriend, who drove her, me, and a couple other of their friends to school every day since last year when he got his license.

Her boyfriend was Anthony Padilla. He's...he's more handsome than words can describe. His dark brown hair that swiped over his forehead. His adorable laugh. The fact that he was a senior... All girls wanted him, whether they were a freshmen, sophomore, junior, or senior. But of course, it's my sister who was dating him. And you know what's funny? She'd gone to school with him for a whole school year, not even knowing he existed. But as soon as I told her I had a crush on him, she had to turn her back on me and date him. He's not even her type!

She looked back at me and retorted, "If I asked you, you'd say no."

"Exactly!" I remarked.

She shook her head before walking out, calling up to me as she shut the door, "Whatever. Hurry up, Len. We don't have all day for you to find the perfect outfit."

I rolled my eyes and walked into my bedroom, ripping off the band t-shirt I was going to pair with my jeans. I heaved a sigh and picked out a black dress that had three-quarter sleeves. I looked at it for a little before shrugging my shoulders. It was going to have to do. I slipped into that and paired it with a pair of black, lace stockings.

I was about to see how I looked in the mirror when I heard Anthony's car horn blare from outside - indicating that the seniors were getting impatient. I sighed and snatched my bag up, rushing downstairs and saying goodbye to my mom. She waved to me from the computer she was at. I walked out and rushed towards the car, hopping in the backseat of Anthony's convertible and looking at everyone. There was Anthony in the driver's seat, my sister in the passenger seat,  Anthony's friend Ian in the back seat with me, and beside Ian, his girlfriend Melanie.

"You ready, Lennox?" Anthony asked me, looking at me in the rear-view mirror.

I nodded my head yes and he pressed down on the gas, propelling us towards the school at a speed at least fifteen miles per hour over the speed limit.

We pulled into the school parking lot about ten minutes later and Anthony parked the car.

"I so do not want to be here right now," Ian said as he and the rest of us got out of the car.

"None of us do, Ian, but just think - it's our last year. We won't have to do this ever again once we graduate," Kristen reminded him as Anthony wrapped his arm around her waist, squeezing her butt and making her squeal. She looked up at him and smirked before pulling him into a kiss. Which I guess was a green light for Ian and Melanie to start making out too. I rolled my eyes - I hated seeing them be all romantic and shit like that.

"Well, I guess that's my cue to go," I remarked to myself, since everyone was busy sucking each other's faces off. "Alright, I'll see you guys after school."

I walked away from the couples and into the school I'd been in for the past two years. I almost knew the school by heart now. I pulled out my schedule and looked at my first class - English with Mr. Eckermann in Room 54. The name sounded familiar. I shrugged my shoulders and made my way to the class.

I walked through the door and found a classroom full of people talking amongst one another, of course no one I knew except maybe Quinn, Anthony's brother who was my age. Even then we didn't really talk all that much. The teacher, who was writing his name on the board, looked over at me and  gasped, "Oh my god! I know you!" He set down his chalk and walked over to me, extending his hand out for a handshake, "You're Kalel's sister!" He exclaimed. My relatively happy expression faded away. Oh great, he's one of those teachers.

I heaved a sigh and returned the gesture, "Yup, that's me. Kalel's sister."

He grinned, "Your sister was great, I'm sure you'll be the same way."

Here's the thing teachers don't get. Kristen and I are two completely different people. She's all frilly and fancy and I'm...not. She's the pretty one. I'm not. She's the smart one. I'm not. She's the makes-friends-with-every-person-she-bumps-into kind of person. I'm not. She's Kalel. I'm Kalel's sister. That's all I ever am. Not Lennox. Just Kalel's sister.

"Right..." I remarked as I slowly made my way to the back of the classroom where Quinn was sitting. I sat in the desk next to him and he and I exchanged smiles.

The bell for the start first period rang and the teacher clapped his hands together, "Alright, class! Let's begin!"