[Chapter 10] Did This On Purpose

Kalel and I spent the rest of the day at the mall. Kalel got me a new pair of jeans (from destroying the pair she took of mine for school with scissors). I bought her some frozen yogurt.

After we came home, my mom asked how school was. Kalel made this extravagent story about how she found out why all the girls at school weren't talking to her - because they were jealous of her for dating an older guy (my mom didn't really approve of it, but hey, it made her buy the story). I had my usual short conversation with my dad before escaping to my bedroom.

As I plopped down on my bed, bitten apple in hand and phone in the other, I realized I had a few text messages from Quinn.

Today 7:28a.m. Quinn: Where are you? Class is about to start...

Today 12:36p.m. Quinn: Seriously, where are you, Len? You're starting to worry me.

Today 2:05p.m. Quinn: Are you feeling okay? You didn't show up to school at all today.

I sighed and texted him back:

Today 2:36p.m. Me: Yeah, I'm feeling okay. Kalel took me out today to the mall.

He texted me back almost immediately:

Today 2:37p.m. Quinn: Wait...you skipped school? And more importantly, since when have you started calling her "Kalel"?

Today 2:38p.m. Me: Since I realized I was the only person who doesn't hate her for what she did to Anthony. I think she and I are on good terms right now.

Today 2:40p.m. Quinn: You're serious right now?

Today 2:40p.m. Me: Yes

I threw my phone to the side and sat up, walking over to my laptop and opening it to see I had a new email. From Anthony and a bunch of other email addresses I'd never seen before in my life. It was a forwarded invitation to a party at Marzia's house this weekend. I wonder why he sent this to me... I thought to myself as I took a second look at the emails addresses. I spotted Quinn's and a few other kids I knew only by name. No Kalel. I raised my eyebrow.

"Hey," Kalel said from my doorway. I slammed my laptop down and spun around in my chair so I was facing her, "I was wondering if maybe we could hang out again this weekend."

"Uh..." I started to say, before I an idea popped in my head. Before I had time to think it through, I blurted out, "Actually I was wondering if you and I wanted to crash this party Marzia's house."

"How do you know she's having a party?" She inquired, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Quinn texted me about it," I lied, not wanting to tell her I was invited and she wasn't. "He was wondering if I was invited. Because he was and he wanted to know if I wanted to go with him."

"Aww, he's got a little crush on you," She poked me in the stomach. I let a giggle escape from my mouth before I got all serious again. "Well, if he's inviting you, why do you need to crash it?"

"Because...I wasn't sure you were invited."

"Even if I was, I still wouldn't go."

"But Kalel..."

"Look, Len," She cut me off and grabbed my upper arms gently, "This is your chance. Go have fun. You don't need me there." She flashed me a quick smile before she dropped her arms to her sides and walked out of my room.

But before she could get far, I screamed, "But I'm not the one who should be going to the parties!" She stopped in her tracks and glanced over her shoulder at me, "I'm not supposed to be the one who has things going for her. I'm supposed to be in your shadow, where no one remembers my name and no one gives a fuck about me but the few people I consider my friends." She spun around so she was facing me, "This isn't right!"

"What do you mean, Len?"

"HEY! WHAT'S GOING ON UP THERE?" My mother called angrily from the bottom of the steps.

"NOTHING, MOM!" Kalel and I both shouted in unison.

"I mean that this is not right."

"What is this?" She yelled at me, frustrated.

"Me being popular and you...not!"

She gave me the weirdest look, "Since when have you been popular?" There goes the old Kalel. "Just because all of my popular friends ditched me because of a little mistake I made doesn't mean you're popular!" I tried to open my mouth to tell her that's not what I meant, but she wasn't done. She gasped, "Lennox, you did this on purpose, didn't you?"

"What?"

"Yeah! You fucking little bitch! Telling Quinn that I was seeing Joey just so he could blurt it out to the whole fucking world! You planned it all out!"

"You're talking nonsense, Kalel!" I cried, "I never meant for anyone to find out! It slipped!"

"Oh yeah, right. Like I believe that. You're always been out to get me, Lennox. Just so you could be popular," She scoffed. That's far from what I want, I thought to myself. "Here's the thing, though, Lennox, you'll never be popular. You're nothing but a loser." And with that she turned around and stormed out of my room. I smacked my forehead.

"And by the way," She added. I looked up, "I want those jeans back."

"Take them!" I exclaimed, picking up the Hot Topic bag and throwing it at her. She caught it in her hands and turned around. I heaved a sigh and ran my fingers through my hair as I began to pace back and forth. So much for her and I being on good terms.

*****

I went to school the next day. Kalel skipped again, and no one would probably noticed because, like she told me yesterday, "I don't know the half of it." It being her evil tricks. I walked into English and my teacher handed me yesterday's work. I nodded my head in appreciation and walked to the back. No one was in the classroom yet, I had gotten there early. I was looking through the work when someone walked in. Someone being Quinn. He made his way to the back and slipped into his seat next to me.

"Nice to see you again, Kalel's sister," He teased.

I looked over at him and retorted, "Nice to see you too, Anthony's brother."

He smirked, "I missed you yesterday."

I sighed, "Quinn, I..."

"I know, you don't like me that way. I get it. But friends can miss each other, right?"

"I suppose," I remarked with a slight smile, which he returned, "Well, update from yesterday, Kalel hates me again."

"What'd you do?"

"Nothing!" I exclaimed, sitting back in the hard, school chair, "She thinks I told you about the whole Joey thing on purpose and made you say it out loud. She thinks I planned the whole thing."

"You didn't, right?"

"No!"

The bell rang and I noticed that all of the desks were filled. "Alright, class!" The teacher exclaimed, clapping his hands together, "Take out last night's homework and check your answers with the person sitting next to you."

I looked over at Quinn and opened my mouth to tell him I didn't do the homework (because I was sick) when he handed me the homework with a wink. I grinned and happily accepted the homework, starting to copy down the answers.