[Chapter 8] The Dance (Part Three)

I pushed myself away from Quinn. He gave me a weird look. "I...I can't do this, Quinn," I said as I tore the corsage off of my wrist and handed it to him. He took it in his hands as I turned away and went over to the table Anthony was still sitting at to pick up my clutch. Once I got it, I started heading for the doors.

"Lennox!" I heard Anthony shout. But I ignored him and ran out of the school, pulling my phone out and calling home. The phone rang a few times before I was sent to voicemail.

"Ugh!" I exclaimed as I locked my phone and put it back in my clutch. I stopped in my tracks and thought about what I could do. I could A) go back to the dance and just act like the kiss never happened or B) go home and fake being sick for the next week in school. I like Plan B.

I was getting ready to walk home when I heard the doors behind me click open, followed by the sound of someone running up to me. I rolled my eyes - did Quinn really have to follow me out here? I spun around, prepared to give Quinn a huge speech about how I just want to be friends. But to my surprise it was Anthony. He slowed to a stop as he approached me. "Lennox," He repeated, slightly out of breath, "What's wrong?" He asked.

"It's a long story, Anthony, and I just want to go home," I replied softly as I crossed my arms over my chest, "Dances aren't my thing." He gave me a sympathetic look.

Just then, my prediction came true and the same doors Anthony came out of not seconds ago, burst open - Quinn came running out towards us. I rolled my eyes as I turned away.

"Can I talk to Lennox in private, Anthony?" I heard Quinn asked his brother.

"Uh, s-sure," Anthony stuttered in response. "Just tell me when you want to go home, Lennox."

"Alright," I murmured in response as I listened to Anthony walk away, the click of his dress shoes echoing throughout the school parking lot.

That's when I felt a hand on my shoulder. The hand belonged to Quinn. He spun me around so I was facing him and said, "Len, why do you want to go home?"

"Because I can't do...this," I waved my finger in between the two of us. "Quinn, I don't like you like that. I like you...as a friend." He stared at me blankly, "I mean, thanks for inviting me to the dance, but I wasn't looking for anything to come out of it. I just wanted to..." I shrugged my shoulders and laughed, "I don't even know what I wanted to do! I just...I guess I just wanted to be the one who has the fun for once. Being Kristen's sister...I just don't things like this."

He stared at me blankly. I might've even seen tears starting to form in his eyes.

I swallowed hard and shouted, "I want to go home now, Anthony!" He was still outside, just leaning against the wall by the doors. He peeled himself off of the wall and jogged over to us, pulling his keys out of his pocket. He met up with me and extended his arm out for me to link my arm with his.

"Let me come with," Quinn blurted out as Anthony and I started walking away.

Anthony rolled his eyes as the two of stopped where we were. "Whatever..." He retorted, glancing over his shoulder at his brother. Quinn ran up beside us and the three of us walked over to where Anthony's car was parked. We got in and we were off. Anthony sat in the front and Quinn and I sat in the back, as far away from each other as physically possible.

We got to my house and Anthony turned the car off, looking back at me. "We're here." As if I didn't already know. I nodded my head in appreciation and began to unbuckle my seatbelt.

"Let me walk you to the door," Quinn said as he started to get up.

"Uh..." I was going to object. Hadn't the evening already been awkward enough? But before I could say anything, he had already joined my side. I shook my head and the two of us walked up the walkway.

"I'm sorry about tonight, Len," Quinn apologized, "I didn't what came over me. I'm sorry. I just don't..."

"It's fine, Quinn," I replied semi-truthfully, "I'll see you in school tomorrow, alright?"

"Alright," He flashed me a quick smile and made his way back to the car. He hopped in the passenger seat, and I literally mean hopped. He jumped over the convertible's door and into the car.

"Hey!" Anthony shouted at him.

I smirked as I opened the door and walked inside. Once I closed the door behind me, I leaned back and heaved a sigh, sliding down until I was sitting on the floor. I covered my face with my hands.

"So, did you get your first kiss?" Kristen's voice sounded. I looked up and saw my sister standing at the top of the staircase. She made her way down and added, "Did you 'become a woman' tonight?"

"No! Gross!" I retorted as I stood back up, "And for your information, if I did, it's none of your business." I shot my index finger in her direction.

"Oh my god, you totally did!" She smacked me on the arm. I rubbed it in pain. "See? This is why you go to dances."

"Well, it doesn't matter. Because I'm never going to a dance again," I said, brushing past her and starting up the stairs.

"Why?"

"Because Quinn likes me and I don't like him back!" I shouted, turning around so I was facing her.

She had a perplexed look on her face. "Then why'd you go to the dance with him?" She inquired.

I opened my mouth to answer, but I was at a loss for words. Why did I go to the dance with him? I liked his brother. Not him. Or did I...? No, I liked and I still like Anthony. So why did I go to the dance with him? "I don't know," I finally answered, sitting down on the stairs and putting my head in my hands.