Part 8

The next day, I went to school feeling better than I ever had. I actually felt...hopeful. It was a foreign emotion to me. I'd felt nothing but pain and misery my whole life. I'd been rejected by everyone, including my own parents. I'd tried to be kind and thoughtful, but I'd only gotten hate in return. But now, I had someone who cared. I had someone who'd given me nothing but kindness. For once in my life, I had a reason to want to live. I smiled, something that felt weird to do after all this time. I made my way to class with more optimism then I'd felt since I was a kid. I felt giddy.

I sat in my usual seat. Sadly, it was in front of Haruki so I couldn't smile at him. He didn't know how much he already meant to me, although we'd never really spoke before. For once, I didn't feel like I was drowning in the darkness. I didn't feel like a worthless waste of space. I felt important. I felt needed. I tried not to smile this huge, goofy grin. That would be sort of weird in the middle of class. I almost didn't care, though. I felt eyes on me and I spun around to see Haruki staring at me. When our eyes met, we both smiled at the same time.

Suddenly, the classroom door burst open. Everyone froze and glanced at it. Even the teacher stopped mid-sentence and looked. Several men in strange outfits strode in. The teacher was furious and she slammed the chalk down. She stormed over to the men with a terrifying glare.

"Excuse me!" she said. "I'm teaching! Do you have a good reason to interrupt my class?!" One man, with long black hair and square-framed glasses inspected her. Without a word, he turned away, which only infuriated her more. He scanned the students, before his eyes landed on me.

He turned to the others. "There he is. Secure him quickly. I'd like to get to the lab now." He pointed at me. Panicked, I stood up. I didn't know who these men were, but they were trouble. Two of them approached me cautiously. I backed up, looking for any escape, but they'd blocked the only way out. They lunged and I kicked out, sending them to the floor. I jumped over them, but two more showed up in front of me. I still had my pencil in my hand. With reflexes born from constantly being abused, I swung out, jabbing the lead into one of the men's arms.

He screamed, falling back and cradling his injured arm. I swung out with my fist, hitting the other in the eye. The two from before grabbed me and I struggled, throwing them over desks. All the students were huddled in the back of the room. I slammed my head back, hitting the one holding me. He grunted and loosened his grip on me. I wiggled free, kicking him back. I grabbed a nearby textbook from the floor. With a tight hold on it, I smashed it into one of their faces. The other students, even the teacher, were too shocked to do anything.

I heard a sigh and turned to face the long-haired man. He pulled a gun from his pocket and pressed it to my forehead. Without any mercy, he pulled the trigger and I dropped to the ground. All consciousness faded and I was out like a light. After all that, the struggled was over, but not without many injuries.

~~~~~~~~~~

(Third Person POV)

Takahiro dropped to the ground, blood splattering the floor and desks. Several students shrieked in fright. With a frown, the long-haired man stared in disgust at the mess before him. He placed the gun back into his pocket and glared at the men on the ground. He was disappointed that a child got the drop on a bunch of grown men. Then again, there was no telling what would happen when an animal was cornered.

"Let's go," he hissed. With a roar, Haruki lunged at the men. He punched them, kicked them, threw chairs at them. He was furious. He didn't know who these men were, but they'd hurt his friend. He fought with a passion unrivaled in the room. All while standing by Takahiro's inert form. However, he was outnumbered and overpowered. They didn't kill him, but they knocked him out and left him there. One of the uninjured men picked up Takahiro's weight and carried him to the door.

However, Haruki wasn't out for long. He woke up and chased them down the hallways and burst out the doors. They were just loading Takahiro into a van. The long-haired man got in the passenger seat as they closed the doors. As Haruki gave chase to the van, the man smirked and pushed his glasses up his nose. He finally had the specimen in his hands. He wanted to get to the laboratory to start the experiments. They'd have to hurry. According to witnesses, the specimen's recovery time was 20 minutes.

Haruki chased the car, but in vain. Panting, hands on his knees to catch his breath, he watched as they drove his friend away. He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth. He was so useless. His only friend had been carted away and he couldn't do anything about it. He was helpless as his friend was in danger. He forced the tears back. No matter what it took, he'd save Takahiro. Even if he had to give his life, he promised to find and save his only friend. With that resolve, determination lit his blue eyes. He stared out at where the van disappeared.

"I'll save you, Takahiro. Just wait for me. I'll come for you, I swear it. You don't know...how much you mean to me." He jerked his hand, slamming it into the wall. "Damn it. Why did this have to happen?!" He glanced idly at the blood dripping from his fingers. Memories of every time Takahiro had died flashed through his mind. All the blood, the hopeless look in Takahiro's eyes. Haruki promised himself that he'd erase that expression. He wanted to see Takahiro smile.

A/N: Things are heating up, my lovely cookies! What do you think is gonna happen to Takahiro? Do you think Haruki will be able to save him? You'll just have to keep reading to find out! ;P