Chapter 1 - Brooklyn Street Rat

117 completed missions.

Hundreds of thousands of lives saved because of them.

Hundreds of thousands of people alive, all because they lost one.

Bucky and Steve went on to honor Finley's memory, what she had done for them. Because of her decision to help them, they had the opportunity to save hundreds more. Ever since she fell however, the Howling Commandos were never complete.

The trio was missing their one, their glue, their girl.

After losing her- Bucky was never the same.

Steve had seen it as soon as she slipped from his grasp. The man shut down completely. His sense of humor was gone, his skin was forever cold, and the flame behind his eyes that had ignited for her so long ago- it went out. the Brooklyn James fell through the cracks of the hollow shell around him and right with her.

"Bucky." Steve's voice called through his bedroom.

It immediately pulled Bucky's attention away from the letter in his hands. "Yes?" he answered.

"They're ready for us."

Steve had aged maturity wise. Physically, he would always remain the same. It seemed as though he grew more comfortable with his body seeing as he had plenty of time to do so. The year was 2014, they made it this far because of one thing- the super soldier serum.

Thanks to Howard's work, it was reported that during Bucky's interrogation by Hydra back in the 1940s, they duplicated Steve's serum in their own special way. James was a match to the genetic altercations, and the mutation blended with him perfectly.

Now, they were both ageless, incredibly strong, incredibly fast, and incredibly lonely. "Yeah-" He breathed looking back to the paper. "I'll be there in a minute."

Steve sent his friend one last look before closing the door and leaving him to himself.

The world was a lot different than it was back in the 1940s. They were woken up after their plane had crashed in the arctic sea trapping both of the super soldiers in a tomb of ice. It froze their hearts- but the serum kept them alive. Originally, their mission was to transport out HYDRA weapons, however, it turned into a suicide mission. Aboard the plane they were hijacking was a bomb, one meant to destroy an entire city and take hundred of thousands of lives with it.

They couldn't land the plane, it was on a timer. So, they did what any other soldier was sworn to do, they saved their people.

With a crash landing in the arctic waste land, Bucky thought he was finally going to be able to see his Finley again, he was ready to let go, to join her wherever it was that they went after death. He didn't care if it was heaven or eternal damnation. Bucky would have been happy with anything, as long as it was with her; Thats why he was willing to go so easily.

That's not how it ended though. Instead, he had pulled through just like always, alive and well by the time Nick Fury had woke the both of them up and introduced them to the new world as the First Avengers: Captain America and Sargent Barnes. Bucky just went by Barnes though. The only person allowed to call him anything else was Steve.

Running his thumb over the small handwriting, his emotionless eyes stared at her words.

Buck,

If you're reading this, it means what I feared most has happened.

I hurt you.

I'm sorry I can't be there to get you through this one; to show you how everything is going to be alright, to teach you how to deal with something like this. But in life there are just some things you can't learn unless you experience them yourself. Life is a bitch. It was never easy and it is never going to be easy. But I'm sure you know that.

You boys did it though. You became what nobody else thought you could; and I couldn't be more proud of you for that.

Whatever happened to me, however it happened, it wasn't your fault James. I made a choice in loving you, and I knew the risks that came with it. My only mistake was letting you love me. But there was something about you that I couldn't live without. I wanted you by my side, I wanted to be where you were, I wanted to be with you; and I don't regret anything about it. I was and forever will be selfish with you.

You are stronger than me James. You'll get through this. The world has so much more in store for you than a love story with a Brooklyn Street Rat. I was a chapter of your life, I made my impact, and now it is time for you to move on.

I loved you, I still love you, and I will always love you.

Please, take care of Shortstack.

I found you once Bucky, and in the next life- I will be sure to do it again.

Forever and Always,

Your Street Rat,

Your Girl,

Finn.

Swallowing hard, Bucky folded the letter back up and placed it in the bottom of the box. Age had really done a number to the thing, but all of her possessions were just as she left it. The inside still smelled like her, so he closed it quickly to keep it from escaping.

With a long breath, the soldier placed the box back under his bed and threw the blanket over the side to cover it's location. Then, he was grabbing his rifle off of it's stand in the corner of the room and made his way towards the door.

Another day, another mission.

And who knows? Maybe this would be the one where he would get to see Finley again.

But Bucky could only hope.