Chapter 6 - What The Ghost Wants

"Rumlow." Steve greeted one of the agents before entering the elevator of SHIELD headquarters. Bucky was the quiet one out of the group now. Words weren't exactly something that came to him anymore ever since he lost Finley. So, typically around SHIELD, Steve was the one that people tended to greet.

An investigation had been taking place on Fury's assassination. Things had been tense all around the agency ever since Fury died, and they could both feel that something was about to burst.

Bucky wasn't about to make the same mistake again though. Standing in the elevator with the group of men, he truly felt like something was wrong. So, he began to check it out being as subliminal as he could.

"Evidence response found some fibers on the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the tac-team ready?" Rumlow informed the Captain of the status of the investigation towards the assassin.

There were plenty of agents to SHEILD, but Rumlow was one of the few actually assigned to this case at the moment. He was one of the best in their opinion, but Bucky didn't see it.

"No." Steve shook his head watching the elevator doors close. Bucky scanned each and every one of the soldiers carefully. "Let's wait and see what it is first before we take any action."

"Right." Rumlow sighed standing back in his place.

To his right, Bucky watched one of the soldiers fidgeting with their weapon at their side.

The doors ahead of them opened, and two more soldiers entered the elevator. Ultimately- Bucky and Steve we're surrounded. Ten men in the elevator and Bucky and Steve stood right in the middle.

"What's the status so far?" One of the agents who had just entered asked the man to his left.

"Administrations level." The other answered.

They seemed to be in their own conversation. Steve was a little naive to noticing things like this; it was something that he wasn't always the best at. Reading people was always Finley's specialty, and she could only teach them so much for so long.

Luckily though, Bucky was able to pick up on a few tips. His instincts were on fire.

"I'm sorry about what happened to Fury. Messed up." Rumlow tried talking to Bucky. He knew that Bucky could see something he wasn't supposed to. So, he tried to distract him.

"Thank you." Steve answered for him.

"Steve." Bucky sighed catching his friend's attention.

The super soldiers looked to one another, their years of experience together allowing them to communicate without words. That's just what they did too. Steve finally noticed what Bucky did. The man to Steve's left was sweating terribly. He was scared, nervous about something.

These men were here for them.

"Before we get started." Steve straightened his shoulders feeling Bucky stiffen at his side as well. "Does anyone want to get out?"

There he was, always the polite one of the two.

A slight pause took everyone over before one of the agents pulled out an electric rod aiming for Steve. Bucky, however, reached out and grabbed it snapping it in half within his grip. Some of the other agents had hand cuffs they tried to place on them, but Steve spun slamming his shield into them and their bodies stopped harshly against the elevator walls.

Feeling a shock against his lower back, Bucky fell to his knee for a split second to catch his breath. Steve however, swung around just in time to take out the last man standing: the man that was shocking his best friend.