09 | BAD IDEA |

AS IT WAS MENTIONED once before, Rory Aden liked to make bad decisions

Drugs, drinking, sex—all the pretty 'bad' things teenagers were known to experiment with—Rory was no stranger to. Her old friend group in Texas were just those sort of people. Something about the dark side enticed her, it intrigued her. She wasn't the definition of a danger magnet, but she followed danger willingly.

Now, when she was warned to stay away from the forest that engulfed Forks because of a few freak animal attacks, Rory was inclined to do exactly as she promised not to. She didn't believe she was in any danger. Especially now that she had Orion to keep her company.

So with her worn tan leather combat boots and yellow canvas backpack full of art supplies, Rory decided to explore the dense woods behind her new home in search for inspiration as well as ruminate upon the hour long phone call she had with the enigma that was Jasper Hale.

Her headphones blasted some Arctic Monkey song as she stumbled amongst the uneven ground, Orion running freely around her. She was about a good forty-five minute hike (Rory had the tendency zone out) into the dense woods when she felt the uncanny sense she was being watched.

Rory froze.

Then, she detected the faintest sound of a leaf crunching.

Orion stopped chasing squirrels and began growling at something unseen.

Slowly and cautiously, Rory slid her hand into her coat where a pocket knife had been tucked into just in case.

"Are you going to come out or should I just continue exploring and pretend you aren't following me?" She called out, her voice echoing in the trees. Only the sound of the wind and distant wildlife were heard.

She pulled the pocketknife out and held it defensively in front of her. "I'm not afraid to use my knife." Nothing. Her heart pounded harder. Something was still watching her. She shakily began opening the pocketknife but it was hard to open from a lack of use.

"You're going to cut yourself."

At the unexpected cold voice, Rory did just that. The blade swung open, slicing her thumb slightly.

"Ah, fuck."

As Rory automatically stuck her thumb in her mouth, she was suddenly thrown against the nearest tree by a blur. "What the fu—!"

Pining her to the wide tree was a creature with ice cold white skin and black eyes that had squeezed shut tight in pain.

This was a really bad decision.

Rory's shocked eyes trailed from the familiar features to the honey blond waves that hung in his face. Rory couldn't help but inhale the intoxicating scent of leather and cinnamon that belonged to Jasper Hale.