32 | DAWN OF THE DEAD |

➖

JASPER DIDN'T HAVE TO IMAGINE to know how much Rory had to love being in Italy as Alice sped down the mountainside road leading to the city of Volterra.

Jasper regretted ever holding her back from accepting the internship. This was where she was meant to be—sans the mysterious fire of course. He couldn't wait to save Edward from his idiocy so he could find his girl.

Rory had always loved finding the beauty in the unsuspecting world around her and bringing it to life on canvas. It was one of the things he loved about her. She was an artist, through and through. There was nothing more she loved to do than spend hours with her canvas sketchbook in hand, painting or drawing.

It was worse to imagine Rory being dead—not that Jasper was convinced. The moment they all saved Edward from his suicide mission, Jasper was heading straight for Florence to find the woman he loved and tell her he never stopped loving her. They would kiss and make up for all the time they were apart. Then they would return home where he would marry her and adopt a child.

If only that was how this story went.

After Bella and Edward's seamless reunion under the clock tower, Jane, one of the most powerful members of the Guard, told them they were all expected to appear before the Volturi.

Jasper kept to the back of their group, completing the circle him, Alice, and Edward made around Bella. Fortunately, Aro was pleased Edward hadn't exposed himself and had brought two more powerful vampires—plus one potentially gifted human girl, the source of all the drama.

As Jasper, Alice, and Bella watched as Edward fight Felix—or attempt to—in the opulent throne room of the Volturi, an annoyed feminine voice rang through the air.

"This is ridiculous!" The hooded newborn stepped out of the shadows she had been watching the trial in. They were destroying the beautiful marble walls and flooring with their fight. She growled as Felix continued to throw Edward around like a rag doll. "Stop!"

Instantaneously, Felix and Edward stopped all movement. Completely. Edward was frozen in mid leap, Felix's neck was craned oddly as his torso twisted the other way. Both vampires were stuck in gravity defying positions. The entire antechamber was astonished by the display.

Aro squealed in delight at his newest member's directness. He loved when his children weren't afraid of showing off their power.

The vampire huffed at the unintended results of her power she was still learning to use. "I didn't mean to stop all movement—I meant stop fighting. Let each other go so we can discuss whatever situation this is like mature immortals."