38 | PARTY MONSTER |

➖

WITH ONLY A MATTER OF DAYS LEFT IN FORKS, AURORA FOUND HERSELF PREPARING FOR A PARTY. Well, at least helping Bella Swan get ready for the graduation party. To everyone's surprise, Bella had asked the newborn instead of Alice, but the former didn't care. She barely had any time to bond with her undead best friend since Aurora came back nearly a month ago.

"Congratulations, Bella," Aurora said to the human girl. They were in the attic, a precaution in case some enthusiastic guests decided to arrive early. Music already played loudly, the heavy bass reaching the attic.

"Thanks," Bella nodded as Aurora applied some blush to her cheeks, "And thanks for doing my makeup. Alice would've turned me into Barbie 2.0. I trust you to keep it more toned down."

Aurora chuckled lightly. "Hey, I may not remember everything about being human, but my makeup skills will never fail me," she said with a smile.

"So," Bella began after a short pause, "what are you going to do up here all by yourself or..."

"Jasper volunteered to keep me company," the newborn explained nonchalantly while Bella raised her brows. "Don't look at me like that. If my thirst gets too bad he'll be able to help me."

Edward thought it was quite risky to have the entire high school to be in the same vicinity of a newborn vampire, but the others didn't want to kick the girl out of the house for the night either. The compromise landed with Rory staying in the attic with a locked door and her ex boyfriend babysitting her.

"I'm sorry you have to stay up here," Bella said, feeling bad that Aurora couldn't enjoy the party or celebrate with their old friends who'd want nothing more than to see the girl they knew as Rory Aden again.

"Yeah, scaring the town to death with the miraculous appearance of a dead girl might ruin the party." Aurora snorted and shook her head at the thought.

"Maybe." Bella closed her eyes as Rory applied some shadow to the lid, "They miss you a lot. Jessica held a moment of silence for you at graduation."

Aurora placed the brush down, finished with the neutral look. She sat down in her own armchair next to Bella's. "I wish I remembered them. They sound enviously normal."

"After you disappeared, we grew close again. But it didn't make up for you being gone," Bella said quietly. She fiddled with the wrap around her wrist.

Aurora caught the movement with a curious raise of her brow. She wasn't in the house when Bella returned from the rez with a broken wrist. "Why did you punch the werewolf in the face again?"

Bella turned bright red and froze. "Jacob kissed me."

Aurora's jaw dropped in surprise. No wonder Eddie boy has been in a Mood™ since Bella sprained her wrist. "Did you kiss him back?"