24

INT. SHAWN'S CAR/SHAWN'S DRIVEWAY – NIGHT

Talking Smack is on the radio.

COREY GRAVES (ON RADIO)

Our prayers and thoughts go out to Shane as we hope for a speedy recovery.

Shawn turns off the radio.

SHAWN

You dodged a bullet. Better thank the Good Lord for that.

DOLPH

(defeated)

After everything I've done to come this close, yet another opportunity gets stolen away from me.

SHAWN

That place was literally up in flames, and you're talking about a lost opportunity? You will get your opportunity. A better opportunity. It's just going to take a lot of time, and a lot of patience.

DOLPH

What's the point? No matter what I do it's never enough. No matter how high I climb, I get knocked right back down. I have scratched and clawed my entire career just to get one shot. And now...

(beat)

I'm over it.

He gets out of the truck and heads to the house.

Shawn also gets out of the truck.

SHAWN

(calling after him)

If you want to quit, I can't stop you. But everything comes with a price. It's up to you to determine if it's a price you're willing to pay.

The screen door SLAMS SHUT.

PRE-LAP

THREE DOOR KNOCKS

EXT. SHAWN'S HOME - FRONT DOOR – SOME TIME LATER

Dolph answers the door.

No one there.

He looks down.

A briefcase lies on the porch.

Dolph looks around the front yard then back at the briefcase. Hesitates. Then opens the screen door and steps onto the porch. He stoops down and CLICKS  open the locks. Opens the briefcase. He takes out a piece of paper concealed by the case's lid. As he skims it, his face shifts from surprise to disturbed. He carefully puts the note back inside and shuts and locks the briefcase, troubled.

For a moment he just sits there staring at it. 

His face hardens. He picks up the briefcase, carries it inside and shuts the door.