six; ❝break up❞

I grumble at my phone screen, not very happy with the text that Jesenia has just sent me.

Jess | 4:05 pm
I can't go running today! I have a stupid dentist's appointment.

Addy | 4:05 pm
It's okay! I'll miss you though :(

Jess | 4:06 pm
We'll see each other soon!

I can't help but blush at the last text, and I decide to send her simple a heart eyes emoji. With that, I turn my phone off, and I get ready for my daily run.

It'll be my first run without Jesenia in, well, a long time, but I'll get through it. I don't think that I need her for this too. I throw my hair into a messy bun, and I put on a white t-shirt with multi colored leggings. As I'm tying my shoelaces, I hear my mom yell for me.

"Adelina! Come into the kitchen! She yells, her Spanish accent noticeably coating her words.

I quickly make my way out of my room, down the stairs, and into the kitchen where my mom is impatiently holding a large bowl of beans in her arms.

"What do you want?"

"Can you help?"

"No, mom. I have to go out for my daily run," I say, furrowing my eyebrows.

She already knows this, and she knows how I am about my routine. A routine keeps me balanced, and even she's well aware of what happens when I'm not okay. Besides, I'm not sure how enthusiastic I am about taking on the chores in the kitchen! I'm not that particularly skilled as a cook.

"Ah, well go then," she tells me, but I can sense the annoyance in her voice.

"Bye!"

She doesn't respond, seemingly still annoyed that I didn't help her but I simply shrug it off. I exit the house I've lived in my entire life, and I finally begin my run.

  As I'm jogging, I still feel some slight disappointment since Jesenia won't be with me today. My frown deepens when I pass by her house, making me focus on. I focus on it so much, that I accidentally trip someone.

"I am so sorry," I apologize when I look up and come face to face with a stranger.

  I admit he's attractive — he has a head full of brown hair, has hazel eyes and a nice smile. He's wearing a sleeveless shirt that shows off his muscular arms and I turn, looking up and meeting his eyes again. I tilt my head as I run through the faces of guys at my school, and he seems to be one that I've ran into before at school.

"It's fine," he says.

"Do you go to the high school here?" I ask instantly, because it seems as if my curiosity is more important than being polite.

"I graduated this year and I'm heading off to college in the fall."

"Can I ask what your name is...?"

"Alex. My name's Alex," he tells me.

"My name's Adelina."

"Your name is Adelina?"

"Yes, my name's Adelina..? Is something wrong with that?"

"No, it's just that Adelina is such a beautiful name and it makes sense since you're such a beautiful girl."

"I'm already dating someone," I say, turning down his awkward attempts to flirt.

"Oh, oh... well, can we be friends at least? I don't want to miss the opportunity of a friendship."