fourteen; ❝she can't know❞

When I wake up the next day, I smile when I turn around on the comfortable bed, and find that Jesenia is still laying next to me.

"Good morning," Jesenia announce as her eyes flutter open.

"Good morning to you too," I tell her with a grin.

Jesenia laughs randomly, and gives me a swift kiss on the lips which takes my breath away like always.

I'm thankful that my mom was out running errands last night when we had arrived, since I imagine that she would have quickly knocked down my bedroom door in a protective manner. Now though, I know that I can't stay in this moment forever.

"I cannot face my mom after this. What if she knows about..?" I tell her, my voice full of embarrassment as I realize that I don't even know what time she had arrived home yesterday.

"It'll be fine. You can do this."

I bury my face into the white pillow, and Jesenia begins to stroke my hair. She rubs my back, and the touch ignites the feeling of a fire in me. It causes me to promptly sit up and tell her, "I don't like you.

"Why?"

"One little touch from you and it feels as if there are fireworks in my stomach!"

"Well, I can't help that it happens," she defends herself.

I know that she's enjoying our little conversation, and I simply shake my head in response. She giggles, which promptly, brings up more sparks in me.

"You're very beautiful. You know that, right?"

I feel myself blush, and I say, "You're such a flirt."

"So I've been told."

"I love you," I tell her again.

"I love you too."

"I think it's time we get out of bed now though," I remind her.

I check the time, and though it's still early morning, I know that if we spend another minute here then I'll never want to leave. She nods in approval, and even starts to change into her regular clothes.

"I'm scared to face my mom," I tell her again.

"I cannot wait until you face your mom," Jesenia teases me.

"Just get some clothes on so we can get out of here," I scold her.

We quickly change into clothes, and I find that I'm still incredibly nervous. I tip toe down the stairs, attempting to be quiet. Jesenia instantly throws all of those efforts down the drain as she loudly stomps down the stairs.

"Hello, Alejandra!" Jesenia excitedly announces when we enter the kitchen.

"Hi, mom," I squeak out.

My mom turns around and eyes me with humor, asking, "did you have a good time last night?"

"Well, Jesenia and I got kicked out of a restaurant so that wasn't great," I answer.

"I think last night was actually amazing," Jesenia quietly says, referring to what my mom can't know about.

I lightly kick her leg, and she laughs as my mom voices her concern about the unfortunate event. I assure her that we're doing okay, and there's no need to press charges.

I can't bear the thought of having anything more to do with that place and its employees. Their actions may be forgotten right now, but they will never be forgiven. And, they'll never receive a second chance.

My mom's next words only disappoint me, and I've already started worrying.

"Adelina, I know this isn't great timing but your dad is going to come for dinner today."

"Oh. . . oh well I guess that's. . ."

Horrible.

The divorce had revealed my father's true colors in the worst way possible.

His verbal and emotional abuse were impossible to tolerate, and my mom was the one that hit the brakes on the relationship. It was for the best, and I've barely seen him since.

For the sake of maintains a relationship with him despite his horrible actions, my mom is still in contact with him. That means there are rare visits, and occasional phone calls. He doesn't make much of an effort, and neither do I.

It's been years since the divorce, but I'll admit that sometimes, I still think about it. My mind forces me to relive the pain, and sometimes, I feel like I can't breathe because of it.

It's not a big deal. At least, that's what I always tell myself so that my own anxiety doesn't steal the best of me.

For the most part, even though it doesn't really seem like it, I've moved on. As long as that half of the family continues to stay away, I'll be fine.

"I may have let it slip that you're dating someone, and now your father wants to have dinner with them here," she quickly adds.

"Mom!"

"I can stay for dinner," Jesenia says.

"That would be great, Jesenia, but I can't guarantee that he will be happy with the relationship," my mom says.

I know that she's referencing his past homophobia, but I don't think Jesenia understands as she tells her that it won't be a huge issue.

Then why let it slip out that I'm dating someone?

My mom's actions annoy me.

A lot.

But as much as I want to, I can't change anything. I'll have to find a way to accept it, and deal with what it'll mean for me.

"I'll stay for dinner. I can't miss out on your awesome cooking," Jesenia tells us.

I shake my head, and say, "I'll just tell him that they couldn't make it."

"Maybe you should just get it out of the way by letting him know who you're dating instead of running away from it," my mom says.

Again, she annoys me. She's trying to break a pattern of me escaping from everything, but now is not the time for that.

"I —"

"C'mon, Adelina it will be good that I finally get to meet your dad."

Jesenia's words are comforting, but she doesn't know my father like I do.

His words kill, and they're what led to the messy divorce.

"I guess but —"

"Okay, if you don't want me to then I won't."

I take a second to think about it, and I realize that it might be better if I don't face this interrogation alone. So, despite all of the smart voices in my head telling me that I'm still making the wrong choice, I tell her, "stay."

"Great," she says.