1: Voice of a Generation

Benjamin Clawhauser watched the clock intensely, wanting and willing time to move faster so he could clock out. Throughout the day, his impatience came out in nervous shortnesses as he spoke to his fellow law enforcement officers, engaging them with quick questions, and responding with brief answers. Conversations were easily forgotten as he was preoccupied, and even the taste of his favorite donuts weren't appealing to his sweet tooth. In all that, the fluffy cheetah watched the clock finally roll over to six. The night dispatcher came to relieve him of duty, and he took off to get ready for the night of his life. He had been to every concert Gazelle has ever performed in Zootopia, but tonight was very different. Tonight would change his life forever, or at least he thought so, as he kissed his backstage pass with a romantic infatuation. He giggled delightfully, eager to meet and speak with the superstar he idolized.

The hall of the recreation center boomed with activity. The crowd was still cheering around the fountain stage for several minutes after she performed her final song, the hit single 'Try Everything'. Gazelle expressed her sincerest love and thanks to her fans, wishing them all a good night. The rooms went by as Clawhauser followed the record company agent, growing ever more eager as he stepped closer and closer to his idol. The agent turned to a door on his right and knocked twice in quick succession.

"Miss Gazelle, the sweepstakes winner is here." The agent spoke closely into the door. It opened like it had been given a magic word, and the smile grew on Clawhauser's face from ear to ear. The agent ushered him inside, unbelieving that he was in the inner sanctum that was her dressing room. She stood there, in living fur, haloed in the lights of her mirror and framed by racks of costumes at either side. He was fixated on her, until he spotted a noticeably cool panther in a black suit standing just off her right shoulder. Gazelle and this panther looked at each other almost blankly, and something about it tripped a flag in Clawhauser's law enforcement instincts. His smile and face remained open and inviting, still waiting to hear his angel with horns speak. The panther turned towards the door and spoke only once before he left.

"Consider it." That was all. He walked out with the other agent, and the two were alone at last. The expression on her face took a moment to catch up to what was happening. She glanced at him, and her performance began.

"Hi!" She joyously greeted him. "You are the contest winner?"

"Uh-huh yep, that's uhh... me!" Clawhauser giggled out. Gazelle pulled up her chair from the mirror.

"Mind if I sit? I've been on my hooves for hours, may I get you a chair?"

"I don't mind standing I sat all day waiting for this and O... M... Goodness tonight was your best show ever and I have to say I'm your biggest fan and I have all of your posters and figurines and the app for my phone here look I really do have them all!"

"Whoa-whoa-whoa, slow down! There's no need to rush. What's your name?" He took a deep breath like it would keep him from exploding.

"Clawhauser, Benjamin Clawhauser!"

"Well Benjamin, it's a pleasure to meet you!" Her accent as she spoke his name melted his heart.

"I think I might need a chair after all." He turned around and grabbed a stacking chair from the corner, sat on it backwards, and rested his fluffy face on his paws like a child in complete admiration. That flag went up again. The look on her face was sullen and troubled like someone stole her teddy bear. This snapped Clawhauser out of his fan-fueled hysteria and grounded him with a thread of reality.

"Is-is everything alright? I'm an officer of the law and I can tell when something is up and down. I see it all day long." Gazelle stopped the charade. She slumped in her chair, hung her head, and rubbed something from her eye. She came clean to expose the subject that bothered her.