6: Promises

4:49 am.

Distant thunder rumbled through Judy's apartment as a gentle storm skirted by Zootopia. Sprinkles blotted the window, refracting circles and runs of light onto Nick's orange face as he laid awake since the first thunder rolled. He didn't have much hope of getting any more rest. He looked at the time on the clock radio and knew it would sound its alarm at five-thirty, in much less than an hour. He slowly adjusted his arm, pulled the hem of the blanket back, and uncovered the fluffy head of his partner, his bunny, his Judy. He watched her sleep, her deep and steady breathing while the light of the street wrapped her features in gold. He laid as still as he could, never disturbing her dreams, and keeping her oblivious to the pitter-patter of the rain.

5:11 am.

Nick's mind wandered and he had a lot to think about, remembering the time they met, how she had saved his life in the rainforest district, how frightened he was and how brave she had been. He relied on his wits to out-fox the situation, but if he ever was met with brawn, his instinct was to run, and it was hers to fight. Impulsive and naive as she was, he kept her balanced, and she kept him on his toes. They were balanced perfectly, and together, they made an incredible team. She kept him from being bothered by the things he experienced throughout his life, she was his rock. He couldn't deny her when she wanted to wear his casual tropical green leaf shirt to bed, wanting to be completely surrounded by him.

Instinctively she rolled over and buried her face into the shirtless fur of his chest, wiggling her nose as she smelled him. Her warm breath came and went on a single spot, then she cooed once as her paw gripped his arm. She felt at it, kneading his arm like a child, and it soothed his mind of worries, complications, expectations, even his troubles. He dared not to move, watching her sleep peacefully as she nuzzled her head up beneath his chin.

5:29 am.

Nick looked at the clock again as he traced the edges of her ears with his fingers. He felt their soft and rigid shape, studied them, enjoyed the nuances of their innate natural beauty. He cupped her head, admiring the simple attraction he had for her supple face. As he stroked her left cheek, he felt three faint scratches that had scarred, they were concealed by her fur and he had discovered their secret location. He figured the incident that left these marks must have happened while she was young, wondering who had marred her skin, what fight had she gotten into, and he wanted to ask about it some time, just know more about her. He couldn't deny that there was something truly special about her.

He looked at the clock again, reading the same time. Though a minute was only sixty seconds, he closed his eyes, wishing that the world would stop and he'd be adrift in this moment for all eternity. He'd be happy if it did.

5:30 am.

The radio buzzed just once. Judy stirred with a mumble and reached for the clock, forgoing the need to roll over. She pawed at the air until Nick tapped the large snooze button on top and took her hand to place the back of it to his lips. She buried her face again into him.

"Five more minutes." She groaned. Nick smoothed her ears down lovingly and she hugged into him again.

"Carrots?" Nick asked. "Why are you sooo cuddly?" Judy turned her head to free her mouth, never opening her sleepy eyes, she answered.

"It's a bunny thing... We snuggle up where it's safe..." It made all of the sense in the world. He closed his hold on her and pulled the hem of the blanket over them both, sealing himself and his bunny in for a few more minutes of paradise. He whispered sweetly into her large ear.

"Snooze button gave us ten more."