Chapter 7: Summer

[Third Person]

School was finally out. Ryo waited outside with Miki and Miko for Akira to finish up whatever he was doing and meet them.

Miko stretched, leaning against a tree. "I'm sooo glad schools finally out. These last few weeks have really been a drag; especially since someone decided to stop helping with homework."

Ryo shot her a glare. "Well, someone needs to learn how to do her own work!"

Miki laughed at the two of them, giving them both a soft pat. "Ughh, you two. Anyways, it's really hot today. How about instead of going straight home, we stop for ice cream?"

"We still need to wait for Akira, though. And he always goes straight home." Ryo stated.

Miko and Miki seemed to have the same train of thought. "Then, how about we go get ice cream, and you walk back with Akira. Alone." Jeered Miko.

"Ahh whatever. Go off and get ice cream for all I care."

"Ooh, he didn't protest!"

"Shut it."

"Only if you give us 500 yen!"

And to their surprise, Ryo handed the girls 500 yen. "Go off and get ice cream already." He mumbled, a blush creeping up on his face.

The girls looked at each other before giggling and walking off. Just as they left, Akira made his way out of school.

"What too you so long?" Ryo queried.

Akira rolled his eyes and began walking. "Teacher wanted me to come back during the summer to help other kids. I told him I didn't have time, but he wouldn't let up. Anyways, where's Miki and Miko?"

"They went to get ice cream, so it's just us walking home today. Unless you wanna chase after them."

"Nah, that's okay. We haven't talked alone in a while."

"Speaking of which," Ryo stopped. "Wanna take a walk in the woods tomorrow to the pond? Just me and you, though."

"Almost sounds like a date." Akira laughed. "But why just us?"

"I wanted it to be peaceful. If you don't want to, I can invite them.."

"No, no. That's alright. They do cause quite a ruckus sometimes, especially when they're together."

They continued strolling at a slow pace, admiring the nature around them, as well as the nice weather. "Hey Ryo?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you had any nightmares lately?"

Ryo stiffened. "Um. Yeah. I always do.. not anything unusual."

Akira turned to face him. "I've been wondering. You never told me what happened in it, and from what it seems, you have the same dream every time." He sighed, and looked into Ryo's eyes. "I want to know."

Ryo met up with Akira's eyes, then quickly looked away. "Maybe.. at the pond. I don't wanna tell it in public."

"Alright."

They kept walking in a slightly more uncomfortable silence. "I'm sorry, Ryo. I just.. I want to help you as much as I can. You've helped me so much, so I want to return the favor.."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. You help me more that you may realize, Akira. And as of the dreams.. well, they're just dreams."

"You're lying." Akira said suddenly.

"What?"

"About the dreams being just dreams. You're lying. They're much more to you. I can tell."

Ryo stood in a shocked silence. Of course they were, but why was Akira so certain? "What makes you think that?"

Akira looked up towards the sky and sighed. "Whenever you're lying, you bite your lip. Not like you would when you're nervous or sad, a different way. I can tell."

"Okay, fine. They're more than just dreams. They terrify me. And yes, they're the same dreams every time and they scare me to death. I can't help but scream and cry. And I just-" his voice started trembling. "I- I can't bear even thinking about them. And I can't stand feeling this weak, especially in front of you. I don't want to burden you with this. I don't want you to see me so heavily affected by something that only exists in my mind."

Akira looked him up and down. He seemed so fragile; so afraid. Tears threatened to fall from his icy blue eyes any moment. "Oh, Ryo.."

And yet again, the two shared a hug that only they could break. But this time, it was different. There were no blushes, just tears. Just Ryo clinging to the warmth of Akira as if any moment he'd disappear. Just his quiet whimpers, quickly turning into sobs as he trembled against the other. "A-Akira.. I-I'm so sorry.. I-" Ryo couldn't finish his sentence there. And though nobody was around to see this, he wouldn't have cared either way. He needed this. He needed a good, long cry in Akira's arms for so long.

When Ryo finally pulled away; eyes still red and puffy, nose still sniffling, Akira put his arm around his shoulder. It proved as nice support when the two continued stumbling home, as Ryo didn't think that he'd be able to walk on his own after that. His knees felt so weak; no, everything felt weak.

"Akira, you talk as if I help you and you're constantly trying to make up for it. Well, I'll have you know it's quite the opposite. I don't know what I'd do without you, Akira."

"I could say the same for you."

A/N: Not sure if I should keep chapters kinda short like this or make them more lengthy and such. I like posting multiple chapters a day, but idk. Also I think I'm gonna make a two ending sort of thing (when I do decide to and it) where it ends nice and sweet and happy like they all deserve, then make an extra chapter that consists of me ruining all their happiness again. Idk lol, I might not have the heart to do it.