The Knight's Past

Erza frowned thinking about the events that happened last night. Failure 77, or Tide, decided to serenade about her in front of drunk men. And THE FREAKING KING!

Not that she cared much, but her pride hurt worse than the broken leg Tide received.

But it was the last lines Tide sang that triggered her like a chain reaction.

"Who there knows her true story?
How close would they know?
I met Captain in a cell,
When we were 10 years old
."

Erza scowled, Tide didn't normally talk about these things. She had suffered a similar fate as she had, and in return, Knightwalker didn't prod the subject. An unspoken rule between battle buddies.

******In a Cell, when Erza 10 years old.*****

"Hey there, what happened to you?" 10-year-old Erza had said.

"They..." little Tide started crying, "-killed-E-Ev-Everyone! They all disappeared! Gone!"

Erza patted the little girl on the back, "I know...but we should live on. They would want us to carry on their legacies. We'll make sure they don't disappear."

Tide sniffled, "O-Okay."

Erza flashed Tide a small smile, so small it was barely seen.

"Who are you?" Tide asked in a small voice.

"Erza Knightwalker, daughter of Ex-Sergent Knightwalker and Irene Knightwalker."

"I'm Tide Fare L. Tidalwave, I don't know who my parents are, but people call me Failure 77 these days, so you can call me it too!"

"Really? They tease you?"

"Is being called Failure 777 bad?" Eight-year-old Tide asked innocently.

Erza patted the girl's shoulders, "No, all nicknames are unique."

"What's your nickname?"

"Honestly, I don't know."

"Can I think of one?"

"Sure, Failure 777."

A random guard passing by looked at them, "Hey, blood-haired girl! You're fighting in the arena later, they are paying pretty high, heard ya be against the Champion of System K."

Erza shuddered, Systems R and K were only two of the other 26 systems that forced kids to fight for wealth and humor.

"We are System R, right?" Tide asked, now a fierce glint in her eyes, "There must be at least 1 other system being treated like us, in the cage, wanting freedom. We could gain allies!"

Erza sighed, "You're crazy, Simon told me they treat them a bit better."

"Who's that?"

"Oh, a person at System K I know, pretty good fighter. But I damaged his jaw, so I'm wondering how he is." Erza explained.

"Sounds nice." Tide said, "Fighting Champions, I mean if you win-"

Erza nodded before walking away, she had been doing this for 2 years. The scars proved that.

When she walked into the arena,  Simon waved at her.

"We're fighting again," Simon informed her.

Erza nodded coolly, "Indeed."

They stared at each other silently for a moment, having a conversation between two tortured people. With those moments, they gathered all their happy moments and tucked those forever in their hearts, so that no steel, nor hardship could take it away.

To the end.

That's what Erza's eyes said, as the gong sounded and the fight began.

Simon pounced first but tripped and was put in a headlock from behind.

Simon leaned closer to her ear, her grip firm, but not deadly.

"Let's run away. I saw a place that reminded me of home, a village, smelled like Rosemaries, like home." Simon said softly.

His metal jaw worked well against the odds.

Erza gasped, letting him free. Once out, Simon rolled on the floor and brought her down onto the floor too by a swift kick to her legs.

"2 more competitors join them!" The announcement blared as Tide was dropped in along with  Sho, a friend she remembered from System J.

"1 must die." The announcement blared again.

Sho charged at Erza, laughing maniacally, "Hey, sis! You left us, and now's the price!"

Sho took out a dagger, playing dirty, as weapons were only allowed if by your Code of Honor. Like if your opponent has the same weapon.

But it was to your OWN Code, it was not really a rule, so to speak.

Erza squeaked in fear as the dagger came down upon her as she struggled to get up.

Tide screamed, Sho gasped, and Simon grunted.

Erza saw her friend Simon moan his last words, "I always loved you, Erza."

Erza felt sad, yet no tears came out. There was nothing to do, but cherish the memory.

Tide cried, Sho cried and blamed her, but she kept those last words too, and folded them into her heart, no steel. No weapon. No brainwashing jerk. No power of death. Nothing.

Could take away that happiness.

And so, she closed her heart and would see to it that the spectators would die like he.

One by One.

For they were cruel to encourage the idea of kids fighting each other for amusement and wealth.

And that was how Erza Knightwalker lead the Simon Rebellion. Muffled by the lives killed by her and her bloodied hands at age 10, she became feared for she destroyed 26 systems and hundreds of people who supported it.

But to the next generation, she was a sister to those who survived it.

Which wasn't many, since after System R rebelled, the other systems started slaughtering the kids for fear of being overpowered.

**********Present Time*************

Erza remembered the words she carved onto Simon's Gravestone, with the dagger that killed him.

To Simon, who started a new era for the survivors of the System.

We might forgive, but we won't forget.

The blood spilt.

On the day.

He died.

And it's done...