Chapter One

Paige, twenty-four years old, arrives at the arena where she's auditioning to be a dancer in Michael Jackson's latest tour.

She pushes the door open and there it all is, the set for Michael's upcoming tour. People are busy hustling around and setting up equipment.

She walks over and joins the other dancers already there and begins stretching.

Two men and a woman walk on stage and begin addressing the dancers; apparently they are going to be the judges.

"You will go through three rounds and we will eliminate people after each round. Michael will only be here to watch the third and final round," explains the woman.

Then the dancers are split up into groups of eight and Paige's group consists of three girls and five guys.

In the first round, the groups are all taught the same routine to "Beat It."

Do it well, and you stay. Do it badly, and you leave. And Paige's career depends on this.

Unlike most- or maybe even all- of the other dancers there, Paige has had no professional training. All the talent she has is self-taught and well practiced. Other than occasional performances with the street group, this would be her big break.

Paige practices with her group for 2 hours before they head out on stage. She's fairly confident in her dancing abilities, so she makes sure she gets a spot right in the front where all the judges can see her best.

Her group takes their positions on stage and the music begins. The routine is going well, but it's only when Paige takes her solo at the end that she looks out in the audience toward the back and notices something, or someone.

And then she realizes it's Michael sitting hidden in the audience, and he's been watching her throughout the routine. She needs to keep moving, though.

Don't let him get into your head.