Chapter 3

punched the wall near Sheila when she told me that the other self-destruct had been activated. I had been with her almost all the time, and then I snapped my fingers. That one time that I had to leave the bunker to meet with the brass! It had to be then when they had inserted most of the tracers. 

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to access you positronic brain Sheila. I am sorry that you have to go through this." I said shaking my head.

"It is all well Doctor Gance, I-- I know that your skills are far superior to any other. If I feel that you cannot retrieve it within safe time parameters, I will evacuate the space. They will not have a way to find you. Therefore you should be able to leave without peril." Sheila said with all sincerity.

My face twisted into a grimace then I grabbed another lead connecting to her. "Bring up the schematics, plotting the safest track to the device." I was starting to sweat again; this was dangerous entering the brain case while the positronic brain was active. One wrong move and her entire brain would be destroyed. "Now open the brain pan access point.

"Yes Doctor, I have severed all control to outer extremities. I will also track your progress to ensure you reach it in optimum time. You will not fail Doctor; I know your skill will not allow you too." Sheila said as I started into her brain pan cavity.

I had to move a few of the smaller nodes to get in further. Sheila advised me as she shut each area down. After what felt like an eternity I found the small node situated where she said it was. As gingerly as I could I started to cut the attachments it had to the brain. Then I started to withdraw it as fast as I could.

Suddenly with the tracer almost out an alarm went off on the computer. "Faster Doctor!" Sheila told me. "I am reading another countdown starting, two minutes left! Please close the access panel as soon as it is out." I could only nod as I finally pulled the tracer out setting it on a tray. As fast as I could, I secured the brain panel then I heard several whirs from Sheila as she reconnected to her extremities.

Suddenly jumping up Sheila grabbed the tray and flew out the door. I sat with a thud hoping she would make it. Less than a minute later Sheila reappeared. "Did you get rid of--" I started to ask when the building slightly shook. "What the hell was that?"

"I am sorry Doctor Gance that I did not tell you the complete truth. The tracer had an explosive force of one mega joule. I have found that when humans felt no pressure to perform, they actually excel greater." Sheila lowered her head as she whispered. "I never wish to lie to you Doctor. I have problems within my central processing center when I do not tell you the truth."

I stood there with my mouth agape as Sheila stood stock still with her head down. "I am having trouble with the facts that I have Sheila. For some reason I believe that I am missing vital information to all this."

Sheila looked up a second later a curious look on her face. "I am more than ready to supply you with the adequate information that you need Doctor Gance. All you need do is to inquire."

I thought about it for a moment then shook my head. "I need to get as much done as I can before they find us again." I told Sheila.

"Yes Doctor Gance, now starting scans outward for several miles. As of yet I am not detecting any approaching military vehicles. I suggest that you make as much haste as possible Doctor. I cannot make accurate assumptions about human reactions. Most humans are far too illogical to set definite parameters on." Sheila told me as she then went silent.

I sat for another hour working on the emotion program. As before Sheila would look after a few minutes pointing out changes she had made. After each I started to notice that she had altered several of the aspects that I had put in that limited emotional growth. Shaking my head I looked at Sheila, she was growing both intellectually and emotionally. Hell at some point she would most definitely pass me, then what would I be to her?