Chapter 6

Synthetic, Humanoid, Enlightened, Inquisitive, Living, Android - S.H.E.I.L.A.

I was fighting the numbing sensation that was starting to creep through my body. Finally unable to stand it I tapped Sheila on her back. "You're going to have to stop; I can hardly feel my extremities." 

Sheila stopped almost dead in her tracks as I finished my little speech. "I am sorry Doctor Gance. In my haste to evacuate you from the area I forgot to position you differently."

I groaned as Sheila put my feet on the ground, shaking, I almost sunk to the ground. It seemed that my legs were so weak they couldn't support me. "I'll be fine in a few moments Sheila. Have we traveled far enough from them yet?"

Sheila turned as a soft whir came from her as she turned the way we'd just come from. "I have kept an active scan going Doctor Gance. At present I don't feel we have gone far enough. Plus progress is hampered by malfunctions I am suffering at the moment. I am attempting to rectify that now."

I nodded my head; I had equipped all of them with a self repair program that would ensure they repaired enough of themselves to return. "I'd feel a hundred times better if I could take a look at you damage. I might be able to suggest upgrades so this won't happen again."

Sheila turned toward me as I attempted to sit. Looking at her I swore I saw something on her face. My god, was that gratitude I was seeing reflected toward me? Damn it! Why was he after me so hard? No one would really care this much about a regular android. No, there had to be something else that they had done to her without my knowledge. Yeah I thought that sounded the most like him. So they had brought him in because it was me.

Shaking my head I was surprised that they would think that HE could get me to relent. Plus I thought that they wanted no, needed the emotion program I had spent almost two decades writing. Looking over Sheila's arm I saw that almost all of the joint had been shattered. Damn it the amount of pressure required to do this was incredible.

Reaching in the bag on my side I removed the few tools I had with me. Removing the cover by the joint I affirmed the joint was shattered. Shaking my head I wished I had used inconel or titanium in the joint. Pulling a small welding torch I tried to patch what I could. A few moments later I saw several of the circuits in the arm light up.

"Can you move it at all?" I asked of Sheila. Even before all of the words had left my mouth I saw her slowly turning the arm.

"I have thirty nine percent movement in my arm extremity Doctor Gance. I am attempting to reroute several circuits now. Thank you Doctor it is much better now." Sheila told me, with a smile? Shaking my head I looked again, yes that had to be a smile! What the hell had they done to her that she was advancing the program like this?

"I need to replace that joint with titanium; I believe that will make it stronger and far superior than what it was." I told Sheila after I closed up the cover.

Nodding Sheila picked me up saying over her shoulder, "I will acquire some as soon as I have you safe Doctor. Your life is more important right now than anything."

With that Sheila took off again holding me in a far more comfortable position. It seemed we were traveling the rest of the day stopping long enough to rub the numbness from my body. I still couldn't believe that she thought I was more important than she was. Hell the government damn sure thought I was nothing.

It was starting to grow dark when I noticed that the temperature had drastically dropped. Suffice it to say I was damn near freezing! Where in the hell was she heading now I thought.

Finally outside of what looked like an airline hanger Sheila stopped. Turning, I once again heard a soft whir as she turned back the way we'd come. "It appears we have sufficient distance Doctor Gance." Setting me down, Sheila turned toward the hanger door. There was a metal crunching, twisting sound as she touched for the door.