My Way

The interstate was fucking loaded with walkers. We had to get out of the RV multiple times and clear out the bottom of the RV of run over walkers. Nate was currently driving and singing a song that I hadn't heard in years.

"Don't stop believing! Hold on to that feeling!"

The way he was so into the song was hilarious and my ribs started to hurt from how hard I was laughing. Becca and Shel were doing backup for him and Russell just shook his head and watched where Nate was driving. Nate continued to sing and drive all day and he started singing a song that everyone on the RV knew.

"Mama just killed man. Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger now he's dead."

"MAMA! OhhhOooohHh! Didn't mean to make you cry!"

Russell and Nate were now doing a duet and singing horribly off key. Shel and Becca just stared at them before joining in.

"MAMA! OHHHhhhhh! I don't want to die."

They all turned to me for me to crush it and I couldn't let them down.

"Nothing really matters, anyone can see. Nothing really matters."

I was belting out the lyrics and finishing the song with pride and a huge smile on my face. We were all so caught up in our singing, we didn't see a set of spikes strung across the road. The RV spun out of control and Nate was swearing up and down as we were all slung around in the back. We eventually came to a stop and all exited the RV to see the damage. Three of our tires were popped and the rims were slightly bent. Nate leaned down to inspect the damage further and took off his cap and ran his hand through his greasy hair.

"Well, it's a good thing me and Russell picked up them spares from the last run. Clementine, will you get the jack from inside and bring it out? Shel and Becca, you guys keep watch and kill anything that gets close. Russell, help me out with these."

We all split up to do our assigned jobs and I stepped onto the RV and looked around for the jack. Nate said we shouldn't place it on the outside incase someone decides to steal our parts. I looked above the sink and found it nestled away in a corner. My hand yanked it out and I stepped back outside and gave it to Nate.

"Thanks, Clem. Will you go help keep watch with Shel and Becca?"

I nodded my head and went to join the other girls. Nate and Russell had us ready to go within minutes and hollered for us to come on. Russell was already in the RV and putting away the jack while Nate was throwing the useless tires off of the road. We all went to get on the RV and Nate was about to join us when he seen something under the RV.

"Nate, come on! Let's go!"

"Hold on! I see something under the RV, I think it's a baseball bat!"

"Leave it. Now, come on!"

Nate didn't listen to Russell's shouts and continued to reach under the RV before pulling out a wooden baseball bat. Nate showed Russell the bat with a smirk and went to step into the RV when something pulled his ankle. He was yanked down and we all jumped out just in time to see a walker chomp on Nate's leg.

"AH! YOU MOTHERFUCKER!"

I put a bullet in the walker and pulled Nate onto the bus and told Russell to floor it, seeing other walkers starting to gather from the gunshot. I helped Nate sit up and Shel examined the bite with shaky hands. I cursed Nate for his stupidity and looked at him with a solemn expression on my face.

"Nate, you know what has to happen."

"Yeah, I know. Just let me ride with you guys until we hit the Georgia state line."

I nodded my head in agreement, seeing as we were only a couple miles away from it. No one said a word and everything was quiet until Nate broke the silence.

"I've lived a life that's full. I've traveled each and every highway. But more, much more than this. I did it my way."

I looked down with tears in my eyes and heard Russell join him.

"Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew. When I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt. I ate it up and spit it out. I faced it all and I stood tall. And did it my way."

Nate smiled kindly at Russell and we had made it to the state line. The RV came to a stop and Russell helped Nate off and handed him his bat and gun. Nate took the bat but, left the gun with Becca. He winked at me and started softly singing the last of the song as he walked off.

"Yes, it was my way."

The drive into Georgie was silent and we stopped for the night inside an impound lot and cleared it out. It was gated so, we closed ourselves in and went to bed that night without eating. I heard Russell get up numerous times during the night and go outside to cry. I shifted around on my pallet to get comfortable and try to get some rest. The last thought in my mind before I fell asleep was Lee.

Please be alive, Lee. Please.