Can't Fight The Moonlight

Well, Javi was right about a storm coming. Dark clouds were rolling in from the South and they looked like bad news. But, Javi said we each have a shelter underground that we can get in if it gets too bad. We all got up and did our chores early this morning and picked up everything that might get blown away in the storm. Gabe was acting pretty strange because every time I would get close to him, he would get really tense and walk away from me. I tried talking to him when we were picking up lawn chairs but, he ignored me. That was the last straw for me and I threw the lawn chair I was carrying and stormed off to my apartment.

I was in there for a good hour before I heard a knock at my door. I was expecting to see Lee or Becca there but, it was Gabe. I frowned at him and blocked the entrance.

"What do you want?"

Gabe sighed and looked at his feet, shuffling them and kicking little rocks. I cleared my throat and his head snapped up and his golden eyes burned into mine. I wanted to look away and step back but, I held my ground.

"Clem, I'm sorry for how I've been acting today. It's not you, it's me. I hate storms because they just bring back memories from that night with Mariana."

My frown slid off my face as I heard his voice crack from emotion. I silently cursed to myself and moved to the side, letting Gabe enter. He walked past me and sat on the edge of the bed, patting the spot next to him.

"You wanted to know about my scars, right?"

I sat next to him and watched as he started feeling the scars and closed his eyes.

"Gabe, you don't have to. I understand if you don't want to and I won't be mad at you."

Gabe looked up and gave me the same sweet smile from the woods that night with the bear. My heart skipped a beat and I could feel a blush creeping up my neck.

"Nah, it's alright. I don't like lying or keeping anything from you. And the others."

I nodded my head and waited for him to start his story.

"So, part of the story yesterday was not the whole truth. After I climbed out of the river, the people who found me was my dad and his friend, Max. They took me to their house far away from here and helped me get my strength back. I thought that David had truly wanted to help me but, I was wrong. They placed chains around my wrists and ankles that had blades inside of them so, I couldn't slide out of them or even move without shedding my skin. They looked me away for days, weeks and only gave me water and stale bread every week."

I was in shock as I listened to Gabe and watched as he leaned down and took off his sock and shoes, revealing scars on both of his ankles as well.

"Gabe, how did you escape then?"

"Clem, there's a reason they had me chained up and it's also how I escaped. You have to believe me when I say this, okay?"

I looked skeptical at Gabe but nodded my head anyways. He opened his mouth to respond but, was cut off as Lee bursted through the door. We both jump and look at Lee, who is looking slightly out of breath.

"Get to your shelters now! The storm is a lot stronger than we anticipated and we can't take any chances. Take this radio and stay in touch. Go!"

I grab the radio and we run outside and find that the sun had been down for quite awhile. We sprint to our shelter as Lee runs to his. The wind is howling and lightning is striking everywhere. I grab Gabe's hand and we run faster to the shelter. We make it and slam the door behind us. The shelter was dark and Gabe looked around for a flashlight before finding one and shining it in my face. I go to grab it from him but, hear the radio go off and it sounds like Javi.

"Clem, tell Gabe it's a full moon. You need-SHHHSHSHHSHSH."

I frown at the static that was coming through and listen but, don't hear anything else. I turn towards Gabe and see him staring at the wall. I walk towards him and he whips around with a solemn look on his face.

"Clem, I need you to listen to me. Before we were interrupted by Lee, I was going to tell you something that may seem a little far fetched. But, since it's a full moon, I can just show you. Do you trust me?"

"It sounds like I shouldn't because you sound fucking crazy right now. But, I do trust you."

Gabe smiles that sweet smile and then takes off his shirt and shoes. I blush heavily and shout at him.

"I said I trust you, not I wanna have sex with you! What are you doing?!"

"Well, these are perfectly fine clothes and they don't need to get ripped. And I'm not going to have sex with you, geeze you perv."

I roll my eyes at him but, turn away as he completely strips himself to his birthday suit.

"Whatever you do, don't freak out or shoot me."

Before I can respond, the sound of bones cracking and some slight groans come from behind me. I'm almost afraid to turn around but, find myself doing it anyways and what I see I can't comprehend. Right where Gabe was standing was now a very large wolf. But, not just any wolf.

It was Gabe, the wolf Gabe.

As everything slowly pieces together in my mind with the two Gabe's being one Gabe, I see the wolf walk towards me. I thought I was doing pretty good until my head went light and I fell to the floor. Darkness surrounded me and the last thing I seen was Gabe approaching me before I completely passed out.