Chapter Four

UNEDITED

Itachi Uchiha sighed for the umpteenth time that evening. Mother was being.. well, Mother. He honestly did not understand the fuss over his marriage, nor did he feel an ounce of the excitement Mother was clearly radiating. He could say she was possibly glowing over the idea.

"Your ladyship," one of the queen's personal servants interrupted, catching their attention. The crown prince internally prayed she be called away for some duty. As much as he loved the woman, she held the very dangerous ability to drive him crazy sometimes. "Prince Sasuke has returned to the palace."

The queen clapped her palms together. "Excellent!" she beamed, standing up. "Ah, what a lovely day!"

Itachi felt tangible relief at the news and his brother's safe - and successful - return had only a part in it. Faster than Mother could say so, he was already making his way out to see him.

Sasuke was already seated with Father when they arrived. Mother wasted no time coddling him - much to Sasuke's embarrassment and Father's disapproval. "Let our subjects never see you do that, Mikoto," he said in exasperation. "For Heaven's sake, he is the prince of this country and the King after Itachi!"

"Nonsense!" admonished she in return, clearly unbothered by his reservation. "I am welcoming my son home and if anyone has a problem with that, they can see me about it."

"Which would be moot," Itachi went on to point out. "Since you would glare them into miniaturization."

He could not help but feel delighted though, at the momentary normality of his family. Family. Yes, that is what they were. Sometimes, lost in the rush of life and crushed under the weight of responsibility, it was easy to forget that - as unsettling as the thought might be.

He could almost pretend that nothing else existed outside this ephemeral bubble and then reality returned like a pin pricking it and splashing him with remnants of what ifs.

"I needed to speak with you, Itachi," Father said, his tone now returning to the authoritative King the world knew and Mother sighed at that, taking her cue to leave, kissing Sasuke's cheek once again and winking merrily at the shy redness of them.

Itachi caught his Father's eyes following after her as she went and wondered if he didn't wish to quit the throne so he could spend his remaining days being spoilt under Mother's love and care.

"I spoke to Kakashi sensei," informed Itachi - best address his mentor with a title in the king's presence. "The men you arrested -" He turned to Sasuke. " - were ambitious no-good thugs. The 'Water Samurais' had indeed been taken care of back then."

"I see."

"Brother, I need to speak with you," Itachi told Sasuke once the relaying of events had been done.

Sasuke followed him through the door of his chambers. The door shut behind him and Itachi spun on his heels abruptly, catching him off-guard with a never-before seen frustration on his usually serene features. "Father intends to search me a bride." The younger man's eyes widen slightly. Now it made sense. "That is sudden."

"And unwelcome," grimaced Itachi. "He wishes to hand the throne over to me soon and has decided that having a queen by my side will be good for me." Itachi's face grew somewhat panicky and from Sasuke's blank look, it was clear he didn't understand his predicament. "I do not want to be king nor do I wish to be wed to a princess."

Sasuke had always known his older brother did not want to take over their dear Father's precious throne. He also always thought Itachi was too kind for his own good - and did not hesitate voicing it. While he trusted, blindfolded, in the man's ability to fulfill any and every task placed upon him, he secretly worried that the throne was going to take his brother further away from him than history already had.