Chapter Five

UNEDITED

"I thought you wanted to be friends."

"We can be whatever you want us to be."

She looked down at the sand beneath their feet.

"Have I upset you?"

"You confuse me."

".. I know it is very sudden - and a lot to take in."

"I do not understand at all why you - the prince - would choose a plain woman such as myself to be his bride. I am hardly befitting for the role, but you even accepted my terms."

"I chose you precisely because of that. Because you have a simplicity that is difficult to find - especially for a man of my stature. As for your terms - a woman has the right to her own body, Izumi."

"Thank you, my lord, you are very kind. I cannot imagine many other men would think so."

"But you are still upset," he noted.

"I am baffled. Just some time ago, I was a free woman and all of a sudden, I am engaged to the prince. It is somewhat surreal."

"You do not think you will be free after marriage?"

"Well, that depends," said she, looking meaningfully at him.

"I am not going to bind you in my castle, Izumi," Itachi frowned. "What kind of man do you take me to be?"

Her eyes widened fractionally. "Please do not misunderstand me, my lord. I did not mean to offend you."

"You didn't." Itachi exhaled. "Izumi -" His tone was softer now. " - it is true that you shall be my queen, but what I truly want .. is for you to make me an ordinary man by your side."

Her brows furrowed. "M-my lord?"

"It matters not if it is as a friend or a husband," he continued. "As long I am more to you than my title."

He looked at her stunned face and parted lips. Then, Izumi straightened. "If that is what you desire, I shall do my best to serve you." Her words were gentle, spoken with meaning rather than intent and with a smile that seemed to redden her cheeks.

Itachi sighed in relief. For this moment, all was good. Her warm presence always seemed to do that for him and inadvertently, he found himself relaxing.

"You are still upset about the proposal. I should have asked you first if it was something you would want."

"It was simply unexpected is all."

"What can I do to make it right?"

"We'll get there."

*

The announcement of the royal wedding draped a blanket of excitement through the kingdom. While the news was not well-received by all kingdoms, most did not seem to care that a woman who was not of royal blood was being wed to the future king. It was also because Sasuke suspected Father had replied to the question as lady Izumi being of (distant) Uchiha blood - that they were simply keeping their bloodline pure.

As the day of the wedding grew nearer though, so did the day of Itachi's crowning. While happy for his Brother, Sasuke was also privately concerned about him. Though he was starting to notice the signs of resignation, Danzo and Father's argument still kept tugging at his mind.

The fool dared call Itachi incompetent.

Sasuke snickered and muttered a curse under his breath. He was not going to forget it and certainly never going to let it go. No one called his Brother incompetent - or insulted lady Izumi, for that matter. Why did royal blood have to matter, anyway?