Chapter 5

Chapter 5

            The yowling was horrendous. The groaning was loud enough that StarClan could hear it. A first time mother having a difficult kitting would be embarrassed if she made this much of a racket.

            “Graystripe, will you stop it already. You just ate a little too much,” Jayfeather scolded. “What made you think you could eat a third vole?”

            “I have eaten more than three before, Jayfeather,” Graystripe moaned, “so one of them must have been bad. My stomach hurts!”

            Jayfeather rolled his eyes as he pressed his paws lightly against Graystripe’s stomach, then around his sides. “You’re not as young as you used to be. You’re going to have to come to grips with that. Soon you are going to be keeping Purdy company.”

            Millie stepped forward. “That is nonsense. Graystripe is as sharp and skilled as the day I met him.”

            Sandstorm, who had been lurking nearby, chimed in as well. “Watch who you are calling old, Jayfeather. Graystripe and I trained together, and I promise you I am nowhere near ready for that elder’s den.”

            Millie purred with amusement but Jayfeather ignored then and turned to Icepaw. “What do you think, Icepaw?”

            Icepaw tilted his head as he often did when he was thinking. “Mallow leaves would work, as would juniper berries. We have plenty of juniper berries here so I would say we use them!”

            Jayfeather had to admit that Icepaw learned quickly. But-

            “Are you sure he doesn’t have something else wrong with him? Maybe he was poisoned? Or maybe he has an infection? Or maybe he hurt himself training and he is just feeling the pain now?”

            But he questioned everything. “He has no fever. No chills. And Graystripe has trained for moons.”

            Graystripe moaned again. “I am right here you know.”

            “Plus Graystripe is smart enough not to eat something that he shouldn’t.”

            “Thank you.”

            “But not smart enough to stop eating when he should.”

            Graystripe groaned again. “You may have a point.”

            Jayfeather motioned towards the medicine den. “Icepaw, go grab two juniper berries and take them to the warrior’s den. Make sure Briarlight checks them before you leave. Graystripe, I want you to go lay down in your den. Take both berries and try to get to sleep.”

            “Come on, Graystripe. I’ll help you,” Sandstorm offered. Together they slowly made their way to the warrior’s den, Sandstorm playfully teasing her old friend the whole way there.

            “He’s worried, you know,” Millie commented.

            Jayfeather turned towards her. “Huh?”

            “He’s worried that he is losing a step. He wants to be a warrior for as long as he can be, but he can tell that he’s slowing down.” Millie sighed as she pawed the ground.

            Jayfeather shrugged and started to walk away, but for some reason he could hear Icepaw telling him to say something nice. Jayfeather stopped and pondered it for a moment. “Tell him not to eat as much and he will feel faster.” Good enough. He nodded and headed back towards the medicine den.