14

At twelve-thirty on Saturday, Bridgeport's dining hall looked, at first glance, like it always looked—crowded

At twelve-thirty on Saturday, Bridgeport's dining hall looked, at first glance, like it always looked—crowded. Anyone who didn't know Bridgeprot well would think that all was normal and right in the world. But those familiar with the school would have noticed a distinct difference—or rather, lack. Namely, all of the Waverly girls were missing. Meaning, all of the finest girls were missing. And the aesthetics of the school were certainly suffering because of it. 

Not to mention the boys. When Aubrey walked in the main doors of the dining hall, he unconsciously scanned the room for Robyn or Kae before realizing they weren't going to be there. He sighed heavily and headed for the food lines, grabbing a tray and walking around the massive lineup in front of the buffalo chicken strips. (One of Robyn's few indulgences—she was going to be pissed about that.)

"More," Dave told the poor girl shoveling the strips out onto his plate. "Don't be stingy. I'm a growing boy."

Aubrey tried not to gag as he passed his roommate in line and grabbed a bowl of steaming tomato soup. His stomach was still queasy from dinner last night. Or maybe he was queasy from all the flirting Jasmine had done with his dad. Talk about weird. She'd appeared out of nowhere and bewitched all of them, except maybe Rakim.

"What's your problem, pussy?" Dave asked after his plate had been piled sufficiently high with chicken strips. "Didn't you have fun on your date with Rakim last night? He said you looked cute." He snickered.

Aubrey rolled his eyes and examined the apples for one without any bruises. Dave was never going to outgrow the homosexuality jokes either. Aubrey could already picture him at their fifty-year reunion, still making gay cracks. "Jas was there too, jackass, in case you didn't hear." He strolled over to the coolers and grabbed a bottle of orange juice. Just saying her name electrified him.

"Damn. No girls for the whole weekend." Dave followed him back toward the table near the fireplace where some of the other guys were sitting. "How fucked up is that?"

"Very," answered Jermaine between giant slurps of his chocolate milk.

"There are other girls around, you know," Aubrey said.

Bryson sighed, not really believing it. "Yeah, but no good ones."

"Since when did you become so picky?" Dave peeled open his banana and flicked the peel at Bryson, then ducked before Bryson's apple core could smack him in the face.

Great, thought Aubrey. They're like a bunch of animals. Take the girls away and soon they'll start eating each other.

"I don't know if I can make it through the weekend without getting a glimpse of one of Jasmine's short skirts." Jermaine stuffed his chocolate chip cookie into his mouth whole.

"Think about it. All the baddies trapped inside with our beer?" Dave slapped himself on the forehead. "It's going to be legendary. We have to get in there."