16

Alex was lying on her bed in Sevyn's emerald silk halter dress, looking like a Hollywood starlet reading Catcher in the Rye

Alex was lying on her bed in Sevyn's emerald silk halter dress, looking like a Hollywood starlet reading Catcher in the Rye. She was technically ready for the party, but after pawing through dozens of other girls' closets, finding the most amazing dress, and borrowing an incredible pair of gold Giuseppe sandals with ties that wound around her calves, she still didn't feel like partying. She just wanted to be with Quincy. 

She hadn't heard from him that morning, but she'd managed to tune her clock radio in to the St. Lucius radio station, and she'd listened to the student announcers give a play-by-play of the game. It was clear that they were both in awe of Quincy, which had made Alex giggle, and it was fun to hear about all the amazing passes he threw, like he was saving the world instead of throwing a ball. The game went down to the last few seconds, when Quincy managed to run into the end zone himself to score the game-winning touchdown. The nerdy announcers went, ballistic, and the cheerleaders probably swarmed the field, pom-poms wagging. 

Sigh. 

But Catcher in the Rye always managed to make her feel a little better. Alex loved the whole book, but the first few chapters were her favorite. Holden Caulfield was such a train wreck, and so clearly out of place at his expensive prep school, that Alex was certain she was in love with him, at least a little. The part where he says that sometimes, after finishing a certain kind of book, he always wanted to call up the author—that was something Alex felt every time she read it. She wanted to call Salinger up and tell him how much she felt like Holden sometimes but that she disguised it better.

A gentle knock at the door ripped Alex from her reverie. "Come in," she called. The door opened slightly and Yara peeked in, looking gorgeous in a snugly fit burnt orange dress. 

"I didn't mean to bother you if you're reading," the girl said, clearly a little flustered. "But ... Jasmine said to come ever and she'd give me a hand with my makeup. I'm completely bad at it." She glanced around the room. "But I see she's not here."

Alex closed her book and set it next to her on the bed. "Well, I think she might have gone up to Robyn's room, but I can help you if you want." She stood up. "I'm no Jasmine, though," she added.

Yara bit her lip. "I'm not sure if that's a bad thing," she said with a nervous laugh.

Alex giggled. "Cool."

Yara's eyes fell on The Catcher in the Rye. "Great book. Are you reading it for English?"

"No." Alex glanced down at the pretty white book, its cover blank except for the title in black in the middle and some minimalist rainbow stripes that shot diagonally across the corner. She loved that too. "I guess I just read it when I'm depressed."

Yara nodded wisely, her eyes widening with sympathy. "Holden's such a fuckup," she said fondly. "He always makes you feel better."

Exactly. Alex couldn't imagine why she'd never met this girl before. "That's an awesome dress, by the way."