21

"So, what's it like sharing a room with the girl who stole your boyfriend?" Teyana asked as she pushed open the door to Waverly 303

"So, what's it like sharing a room with the girl who stole your boyfriend?" Teyana asked as she pushed open the door to Waverly 303. She made a beeline for Kae's dresser and snooped through the things on the top of it. She opened a porcelain butterfly-shaped box and picked out a silver chandelier earring disinterestedly, then took the cap off Kae's bottle of perfume and spritzed the air.

Robyn rolled her eyes and closed the door behind her. Teyana could be a bit nosy—she loved details about everyone else's problems, which she'd listen to pityingly before offering some completely unwelcome and unhelpful advice. Robyn had been having an excellent time alone on the roof, feeling sorry for herself and smoking cigarettes from the pack she kept in her pajama drawer for special occasions only. She loved the way they made her lips tingle and made her feel all light-headed, but her asthma kept her from smoking them too often.

But then Teyana had snuck up to join her, with a "special" cigarette that Jermaine had rolled for her (courtesy of his parents' "herb" farm in Vermont). Now her mind was all loosened up and wandering and she could feel her emotions rising up inside her and threatening to spill out her mouth.

"It's not that bad." Robyn lay down on her own bed and closed her eyes, wishing everyone in the entire world would disappear. That she could be all alone, sprawled out on a sandy tropical beach in Barbados, the sun beating down on her bare skin, with the sound of waves crashing in her ears instead of Teyana's insinuating remarks.

"Oh, no?" Teyana asked innocently, checking her image in the mirror. "It certainly looked that way."

"Give me a fucking break." Robyn leaned up on her elbows, liking the way the waist of her slim-fitting jeans didn't even touch her stomach. "People don't get stolen away. That's just a convenient myth so that people don't have to blame themselves for problems in their relationships."

Teyana turned to check out her ass in the mirror and smiled at her own reflection. "Come on. Everyone saw the way she threw herself all over him."

"That's not true."

"Sure, it is. She was after him from day one."

"I asked them to flirt with each other...so that I wouldn't get in trouble." That had to be one of the stupidest things she'd ever done. Right up there with making out with Dave East. Twice.

"So what? You asked them to flirt, not fall in love." Teyana grabbed Robyn's bottle of lip gloss and, without asking, spread it across her plum-colored lips.

Robyn shook her head and realized she meant every word she was saying. "You don't get it. Someone can't just come between two people if their relationship is solid." She rubbed her hands over her eyes. "Things weren't right between Chris and me. That's all there is to it."

Teyana was unimpressed. "That's awfully mature of you."

She sighed. It had taken a lot for her to get to this point. For so long, she'd been furious with Kae. It was easy to blame Kae's petite body or sweet personality, but now it just seemed silly. If Chris had still been in love with Robyn, no one would have been able to tear him away. And that was the hardest thing to accept. "Whatever. It's hard." She felt her throat filling up with tears. "I miss him."