26

After storming out of the party, the last place Alex wanted to be was her bedroom, where, an hour ago, she'd been on the verge of having sex for the very first time with the boyfriend she loved

After storming out of the party, the last place Alex wanted to be was her bedroom, where, an hour ago, she'd been on the verge of having sex for the very first time with the boyfriend she loved. She'd thought everything was perfect—but now it was clear that it had all been fake. She and Quincy couldn't make the grand, symbolic gesture of giving their virginity to each other because he'd already lost it—to that other girl. And it wasn't like it was something that had happened a long time ago. No, when she and Quincy were dating before, he was definitely a virgin. They break up, get back together two weeks later, and suddenly he's not a virgin anymore? What the fuck? The thought of going back to her room, to her sandalwood incense and her drawn shades, made her ill. Not like stomping up the stairs to the roof was any better—she still felt ill. What she really wanted to do was run out the front door of Waverly, hop in a car, and drive somewhere fast, but she couldn't leave Waverly, so the roof was as far away as she could get.

She flung open the metal door and stepped out into the dark, cool night air. Her arms were immediately covered with goose bumps, but she didn't notice. It was a beautiful night, which just pissed Alex off even more. Each one of the ten billion stars in the sky seemed to be shining happily down on her, and she wanted to kill all of them.

The door flew open. Quincy, practically panting, stepped toward her, but Alex backed away. She hoped his body was in even more pain now after running up three flights of stairs. "How could you? How could you...do that...and not say anything to me?" she shouted, not caring who heard.

"Alex, please. Calm down, okay?"

"I told you I was a virgin. I told you I was ready to do it. Were you ever going to tell me the truth?"

"Yes! Of course." Quincy shoved his hands into the pockets of his dark jeans, his face looking like his dog had just died. Good, Alex thought meanly. He deserves to feel bad. "It just wasn't...the right time."

"So when would be the right time?" Alex couldn't keep the venom out of her voice. She just felt so betrayed. Quincy was supposed to be one of the good guys. He was one of the anti-Michaels, the kind of guy who doesn't sleep around or ditch you for the next hot thing that walks into the room. He wasn't supposed to do this to her. "After we'd done it? Because if Aubrey and..." Alex could not bring herself to say Jhene's name. "If Aubrey and that bitch hadn't interrupted when they did..."

"I would have told you," Quincy insisted, pulling a cigarette from a crushed package and sticking it between his lips. He fumbled in his pockets for a lighter. "But you know, you were lying to me for months. Why'd you lie about being a virgin?"

"Because ... because ..." Alex sputtered. "I don't know. It was none of anyone else's business." And what difference would it have made, anyway? If he'd known she was virgin, did that mean he wouldn't have jumped on Bitchface?

"None of anyone's business," Quincy repeated, inhaling deeply from his cigarette. "So why are you so pissed now if virginity is none of anyone else's business?"