CHAPTER TWO

The Prince looked upon the cowering woman at his feet. How could this witch kill her own sister just to cause her brother pain? Mortals...

"You are right to fear me, witch," he growled, "You might have found you revenge, but in tearing the veil, you have released unthinkable darkness to the mortal world. I hope you have learned your lesson. If you EVER attempt something like this again, I will bring the fires of Hell down upon you!"

Morgana looked into the cobalt eyes of the god, silently promising to never earn his wrath. As much as she desired the destruction her offering had brought, she knew Emrys always makes good on his promises. So she just curled into a tighter ball as if that would make her disappear. The witch looked up to see the prince stalking off into the forest. The dark shadows of night quickly swallowed his form.

...

Arthur looked out the window at the frozen bodies that were rapidly filling the courtyard. Something sank in his gut as a thick wave of nausea rolled over his body. Shaking his head, the prince willed away his guilt. Then he felt Gwen's warm arms encircling his waist from behind. It did little to calm his jumpy nerves. "What am I to do? People are turning to Camelot for help, and to me for a leader. I can't even get rid of a ghost, how am I going to protect all my citizens?!"

Gwen smacked the back of his head lightly. She turned Arthur so that he was looking straight at her deep brown eyes, "Arthur Pendragon! You are the Crown Prince of Camelot, you will find a way. I have faith in you- I mean we all do..." Gwen blushed as she trailed off.

"Alright Gwen, I'll go talk to Gaius then. Maybe he'll have some answers," I hope. he added silently before starting off towards Gaius' chambers.

...

When Arthur entered, Gaius was pouring over some old beat-up scrolls. They were littered with word and designs that Arthur couldn't make heads or tails out of. He glanced around the room before clearing his throat.

Gaius looked up from his tattered parchment, "Sire?"

"Ah Gaius! I was wondering if you have found any new information on the ah... breach issue," Arthur inquired while he shifted uncomfortably.

"From what I can tell, we have three options to seal the tear. First, the Cailleach will shut it for the price of a human soul. Second, Lord Awan will shut it if he is given an offer by someone in his favor... Lastly, Prince Emrys can shut it, but only with the help of the Lady Elura, who is currently missing. Plus, this cannot be accomplished without the willing self-sacrifice of a 'Dragon's Child'. I doubt the last option will be open to us anytime soon."

Arthur sighed, "Then there is but one option open to us: I will sacrifice myself to heal the veil. My knights and I will ride for the Isle of the Blessed within the hour!"

...

Emrys stepped lightly out of the shadows. He didn't know where he was, or where he was going; just away. He wanted to get away from his duty, his reputation, his power. He wanted to disappear from everything. He shuffled along, lost in thought, until he heard rustling leaves. Instantly alert, the prince searched his surrounding for any sign of the noise-maker.

A tall, willowy figure stepped out of the underbrush. It pulled back it's hood to reveal a young woman's head. She had pale skin and long matted hair that shown gold in the moonlight. But her eyes were what caught the prince's attention: they were an unnatural blue flecked with bits of silver. They glowed at him not in fear, but in something closer to excitement. Her bright laughter filled the clearing.

"Who are you?" the prince demanded.

"Who am I?" she said suddenly serious, "Well for one thing I'm alone survivor from my village. The name's Astrid. Now let me guess, you look like a Merlin to me. Am I right?"

'Merlin' he rather like that name. "What are you doing in the middle of the forest alone with spirits from the underworld on the loose?" He questioned.

"Oh calm down, I am a big girl ya know! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a prat of a prince to save from his own stupidity." With that, Astrid strode off in the direction Emrys had come from.

Astrid, she just might what he needed to close the veil. At least she deserved to be watched, just in case. So the prince turned and started following the mystery girl.