CHAPTER THREE

As she trampled through the dense vegetation, Astrid adjusted her cloak tighter around her body to counteract the biting cold. To think, one week ago, she would have jumped at the chance to kill a Pendragon. Now she was saving one from his stupidity, damning her father's vengeance in the process! Ugh, fate was a twisted little imp.

Then, with a rather unlady-like snort, she tripped on a tree root and fell. She tumbled down a hill- right into the lap of a big shirtless knight!

...

Emrys was standing in the shadows of a large oak tree, having stopped when his quarry fell semi-gracefully in a camp of knights donned in red and gold. He raised his hand to knock back the knights when they drew their swords; ready to defend the beautiful lady if the call may arise.

...

Percival was watching fire dance, minding his own business, when this girl came flying out of nowhere and landed right in his lap! She groaned when she sat up. Then her amazing laugh fills the camp. The knight proceeded to draw their swords against the unknown intruder.

"You have got to try that!" she exclaimed with a goofy smile, "Sorry about landing in your lap big guy."

The Prince took a step forward, after sheathing his sword, "And who, exactly, are you?"

The young lady flashed the crowd a stunning smile that didn't look like it belonged on her dirty face, "My name is Astrid, sir."

"And where are you heading in the middle of the night? We're smack-dab in the middle of nowhere," he questioned.

"What is this, twenty questions? Fine. I'm on my way to the Isle of the Blessed, sir."

"Why the bloody hell are you going there?!"

She cocked her head, causing golden locks to spill across her face, "Why, I'm Camelot's 'sacrificial lamb'! The kingdom needs its prince and all his knights, like yourselves, but it won't miss a lowly peasant girl. Besides, there's nothing left for me in this world now..."

Arthur stared into her piercing blue eyes. "Seeing that I can't persuade you from abandoning your quest, you'd better join us on our trip there. I wish you wouldn't insist on throwing away your life for us. My name is Arthur Pendragon, Crown Prince of Camelot."

...

Emrys didn't here the last remark; he was too busy summoning an old friend. The Great Dragon.

Emrys stood in a large clearing when the beast landed. His golden gaze soon settled on the god. "What is it sire?"

"Thank you for coming so quickly," he stated while kicking a stone set in the grass, "There's a beautiful woman I want you to protect. She is riding with a band of Camelotian knights. Keep an eye on her; I don't want her harmed in any way." Emrys finished in his best 'I'm a god so you'll do what I say' voice.

"Sire, even you didn't ask this of me, I would still lay down my life for her," came the rumbling reply, "I made a promise to her father long ago; she is the sole reason that I do not return to the underworld."

"So it is true then: she is Balinor's child."

"Yes," the dragon continued, "Her father was the last dragonlord, making her the last human to contain dragon blood at this time." Kilgarah stared intently at the dirt after finishing.

Emrys' eyes widened with recognition, "A Dragon's Child!"

...

Early the next morning, the party of knights plus one broke camp and began again on their journey to the Isle. They rode furiously on without a break until well into the afternoon. They were sitting in a gully cut in half by a creek and filled with rocky gravel on either side. That's when Gwaine found the bees nest.

"Careful," Astrid warned, "they're bees and they do sting!"

"Don't worry my dear lady, I'm always careful," he replied flirtily. Then he slowly slid his hand into the mound that housed the bees' honey. She snorted when the bees started stinging him for intruding. It was hilarious watching a grown man fend off some very pissed-off bees! Soon all the men were engaged in battle with the demons. The rest of the afternoon was spent trying to ward off the little pests. Everyone was so occupied with the Battle of the Bees that they didn't notice the darkening sky, or the man with a knife poised to kill Astrid.

She turned towards the man and her eyes narrowed. He was barely more than a boy. The would-be killer had short dark brown hair and grey eyes. His freckled face was pale with fear. "Who the hell are you?" Astrid demanded.

The man-boy saw who she was and immediately bowed to her, "Forgive me, Lady Elura!"

Arthur decided to look up at the moment, "What did he just call you?"