CHAPTER FOUR

"Shit!"

Of all the things a lady could say, she said shit. Not that Astrid really cared what these knights thought of her, they would kill her instantly if they knew who and what she really was. Way to go Astrid! she thought to herself. Now everyone was staring at her as if she was a dragon in a tutu.

"I'm sorry, I must've heard wrong. I thought he said you're the missing Lady Elura. I'm almost definite that you're not. From what I saw of the elusive lady, she was a pompous airhead who was content to sit and brush her hair. And she never went tromping in the forest," he continued now turning to the boy who was still cowering on the floor. "Which begs the question: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!"

"M-my name is Deagal, sire. I'm sorry! I saw the Lady's dark clothing and I thought she was the woman my Lord sent me to kill. Forgive me," He stammered.

Astrid's cyan eyes narrowed, "Who is this lord of your's?"

"I think you have already met him." Arthur's face went redder than a tomato at Deagal's response.

Astrid laid her hand on the Prince's shoulder, "Arthur, I'm alright. Come on, it's getting dark and I think I can see an old castle ruin just over the ridge. If we are quick about it, we can get there before nightfall."

"You're right, of course, but he comes with us," he stated with a tilt of his head in the boy's direction.

...

Earlier that day...

"Kilgharrah, what am I going to do?! She's got to be the Dragon's Child that the Fates speak of. That means that the witch will be after her to prevent the Coming of the Light; I can't lose her to the darkness." Emrys ranted as he snaked his hand through his dark hair.

"Sire, simply remove the witch from the equation. After all, you do possess the assets," the dragon replied darkly.

"Actually, that's a decent idea; I hope she has hidden herself well. I'll contact Daegal and send him after her," the Prince said with a look of wild hope.

Presently...

'Sire! I have been captured by Prince Arthur and his knights. My lord, what should I do?' Deagal's frantic voice echoed in the god's head.

'Calm down,' he soothed, 'I'm on my way there; just keep the lady as safe as possible.' Emrys pulled his hood back over his head and began to climb the rocky slopes of the ruins.

...

Astrid shook her head as Sir Lancelot tried, but failed, to light a fire. She stared at the pile of wood, willing it to light. She felt the magic pulse through her veins as her eyes turned liquid silver. The sad little wood pile burst into flames. Honestly, the man was in his twenties and he couldn't light a fire?! Pathetic.

The would-be assassin snorted as if he agreed with her. She shifted towards him, and that's when he mind-spoke to her.

'Lady Elura, I am sorry for any complications I might have caused. My Lord only wishes to keep you safe from the Dark,' he whispered in her mind.

'Just don't kill me and we'll be peachy!' Astrid replied, catching his smile out of the corner of her eye. She matched his smile with a grin of her own.

...

Late into the night their fire burned, warding away the vengeful ghosts. Eventually, their meager supply of wood was dangerously low.

"Fire's low," Gwaine stated oh-so helpfully.

Astrid stood up. "I'll go."

Arthur stood up to follow her.

Astrid was silent for about five minutes before she spoke, "I doubt you know the fine art of wood collecting, so why did you follow me?"

"It's a knight's duty to protect those in need... and I have some questions. Are you really Lady Elura? You certainly have the same blue eyes."

She gave the prince a playful smirk, "What do you think? Use that big head of your's!" He never got to answer. A gust of wind puffed through the yard, snuffing out the torch. The screams filled the shadows, echoing off the stones. "RUN!"

They dashed across the grass. Arthur spied a door and pulled her through. The ghosts slipped in and continued to chase them. Astrid had a brilliant plan. After shoving the Prince in the corner, she turned to face the monsters. Their forms wrapped around her body before dissipating into the night. The horrid howls were replaced by a deep roar as her frozen corpse hit the floor.

...

Emrys knew the Doraca where near, he just didn't know how close. That is, until he felt Astrid start to slip into oblivion. He roared as thousand emotions ran through his mind. It did little other than scare away the ghosts as he sprinted across the ruins. The Prince desperately hoped he would reach her in time.

Feeling the pull of the Dragon's Child, Emrys found himself at a door. He blasted it down without a thought and ran through. What he saw inside almost made his heart stop.

In the middle of the small room was the mortal prince Arthur Pendragon, crying into Astrid's cold chest. It was an unnerving sight to say the least.

Arthur looked up from his savior's body to see a man standing a little ways away. He was dressed in a very fine black and bronze cloak. His striking blue eyes flashed dangerously at Arthur, while his powerful presence demanded submission.

"W-who are you?" Arthur stuttered.

"I am the son of Awan. I'm not someone you want to fuck with, mortal," The man sneered in a cold voice. The son of Awan proceeded to walk forward and gently pull the girl from his grip. Arthur's eyes wided in vainly concealed fear as Astrid left his arms.