X. THE SILENCE OF LAMBS

❝NOTHING MADE ME HAPPEN

❝NOTHING MADE ME HAPPEN. I HAPPENED.❞
-THOMAS HARRIS, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1988)

         HARSH, DRAINING LIGHTS hang above her face, blinding her momentarily as she attempted to let the sudden change in lighting adjust to her vision. Faye felt like snapping at the deputies for making her sit in a dark room just to turn the overhead interrogation lights on like a couple of badasses they play on the late-night shows her mother and father sometimes watched. Really, they only wanted to use them because they ever got to use them in a case like this. The least they used them for was a couple of teenagers trashing a building or loitering. Of course, this didn't exactly please Fayelynn in the slightest.

          "Could you please tell me why I'm here?" Faye snapped, her voice tired.

          "We asked your fellow classmates when they last saw Christine Rix today-" One began.

          "And mostly everyone we asked said that they saw Christine and you walk out of the school together. Care to explain that?" The second finished.

          "Well, I wouldn't call us walking out together exactly what happened," Faye scoffed, toying with the ends of her hair held high in a ponytail. "I guess what my fellow classmates failed to mention was that Chris was dragging me out of school by the very strands of my hair like I was some ragdoll. I was screaming and yelling and none of those dicks did a damned thing to help me. Goes to show ya, I guess; there are some seriously screwed up people in this world that are dressed in disguise as good ones. Hell, maybe there are no good ones at this point."

         "And why was Christine doing that? Dragging you out of the school, I mean."

         Faye's mind burst into the imagery of Christine's poisonous words dripping from her snake tongue, spitting at her with an intensity of over a thousand. To think that Christine's last emotions would be pure resentment against someone who was innocent of all crime up until that point... But Christine forced her, right? What else could Faye do? She wasn't going to leave her alone and she just kept hitting her, over and over again! It was her fault, wasn't it? If she had just let Faye talk that wouldn't have happened.

         Still, that shrill sound of Christine screaming at her rung out like the church bells from the Catholic church on a fine Sunday morning. Those bells rang in the early hours of the morning, rousing Faye from a slumber so peaceful and warm before the Monday that followed would bring unceasing torment to her. She always hated those church bells just as she hated hearing "GET UP BEFORE I BREAK YOUR DAMN BONES!" in her thoughts.

        Faye tapped her finger on the desk to try and push these thoughts away to get her statement out without sounding more suspicious than she already seemed to these guys.

          "She and Tyler Warlow broke up this morning... He came up to me in the library and we started talking to each other-"

          "About what?"