XII. STIR OF ECHOES

❝EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE

❝EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE.❞
-RICHARD MATHESON, STIR OF ECHOES (1958)

          "EL! EL, COME on, it's getting dark! Please!" Faye's voice bounced so hard against the trees in an echo that she even wondered if the sound was moving anywhere else. "El!"

          She had been walking for a little over an hour but there didn't seem to be any sign of El in sight. Her mother would've been biting her nails in fear at this point, though Faye hoped and prayed that she wouldn't go overboard and send out a search party. Usually, she had enough faith in her daughter to give her some freedom in these situations- though it was probably a long shot considering all of the backlash against her lately. It wasn't irrational; Faye was sure that people in Hawkins would just be itching for a chance to bring her to the grave.

          Still, Faye forced herself to walk through the woods. The lulling sounds of the wind in the trees and the crunch of the fallen leaves beneath her moving feet mixed with a sense of dread attacking her insides gave Faye this sickening déjà vu.  She pushed it down as far she could, swallowing it begrudgingly like it vomit that she couldn't spit out.

          Faye's mouth moved to call out for El once again but had bee silenced when she heard a voice different from her own break through the darkness.

          "Nancy!" It screamed.

          Nancy? Faye wondered. As in, Nancy Wheeler?

          Letting her curiosity get the better, Faye stepped in the direction of the voice. The farther her feet took her, the closer she got to a figure that was stumbling through the trees and bushes. Finally, he- at least, she thought it was a boy; one couldn't tell in the dark- stopped his scrambling in front of a tree. Using what limited light she had, Faye could see who it was.

          "Jonathon?" She spoke.

          Jonathon Byers was the elder brother of Will Byers. Faye and he had had numerous encounters while Faye was babysitting Will or taking him home but none of them were really anything noteworthy. Both were typically very reserved which was something that made them both very alike, though neither would admit to that. Both were very hostile towards people their own age and both carried around this chip on their shoulders that they so desperately wanted to brush off.

          Jonathon jumped and veered his attention to the strawberry blonde. Squinting, he saw her and said, "Fayelynn?"

          With their understanding of who the other person was, Faye asked him, "What're you doing out here so late?"

          "What are you doing out here so late?" He countered.

          Faye obviously knew she couldn't say that she was looking for a falsely blonde-haired girl who could move things with her mind after she ran off because she shot Lucas into an old car. "I'm just taking a walk... Nothing that concerns you."