3: I Believe He Wants Her Back

Adelaide stirs from her unconscious state, her mind feeling heavy and clouded, an acrid taste in her mouth had her grimacing.

Something didn't feel right.

Maybe she was getting sick, though from what knowledge Harry had passed onto her, vampires weren't prone to becoming 'sick.'

Hopefully he would be able to shed some light on whatever it was that had her feeling so terrible.

She opened her eyes up and began blinking rapidly, only to realise that she wasn't in her own bed.

Nor was this the bed at the B&B that they had been staying in.

Fear coursed through her body when she realised she couldn't sense Harry anywhere near her.

Adelaide went to move but found her movements slow and sluggish, causing her to begin to panic.

Where was she?

What was happening to her?

The door to her room slowly opened and Adelaide's hand moved to cover her mouth, the urge to cry out in fear building within her.

Where was her Harry?

He was the strongest person she had ever known, nothing scared him, worried him, she knew she was always safe when he was with her, he had promised her that.

Her body shuddered from the silent sob that escaped her as she heard slow footsteps entering the room before they stopped and stood in the room.

Her eyes widened in disbelief at the person standing in front of her.

Jonathon.

She knew instantly that he was no longer human.

She also knew she was in trouble.

~~~~~~

Harry groans as he wakes from his sprawled-out position on the floor.

Adelaide!

He tries to scramble to his feet, but his movements are sluggish, and he stumbles and falls a couple of times before he's able to sit on his knees, adjusting his balance as he takes in his surroundings.

His hand brushes something next to his leg on the floor and he looks down at it.

A needle.

Gingerly he picks it up and pulls it open, bringing it to his nose slowly to sniff the contents.

Juniper.

He closes his eyes as he realises both he and Adelaide must have been injected with it as it is one of the few herbs known to affect vampires.

It causes a slow acting but short-lasting paralysis in a vampire's body.

Enough to knock Harry out as well as Adelaide and take her from him before he can wake.

He holds the empty vial in his shaking hand, staring at it as fear and anger surge through him.

Anger that they have taken Adelaide from him.

Fear of what they may do to her.

Besides being a temporary paralysing agent, juniper, although Harry has only heard but does not know for sure, can supposedly clear the vampire 'gene' from the body which then allows the effects of death to catch up to body.

In short, if this is true, Jonathon could easily have Adelaide killed.

Harry runs his hand through his hair as he tries to calm his panicked breathing, thinking what to do next.