12:00

"I heard that place is literally a palace!"

"Yeah, but I heard there's a dungeon too..."

"Don't be stupid. Why would the Fernandes' family need a dungeon?"

"To keep their enemies hostage, duh."

"I don't think so, man. I bet they have a sick game room. Like, one with trampolines and floor-to-ceiling TVs."

"Guys," Jellal interrupts, half amused, half annoyed. "Can you not tell the entire school you're coming over?"

"Dude, why not?" Natsu asks, elbowing the blue-haired boy. "This is going to be great!"

Natsu had taken the news of going to Jellal's house instead of an "exotic island" better than expected. Instead of throwing a tantrum, he resorted to spreading horrific rumors centering around the lavish Fernandes' estate. And coming up with ridiculous theories.

"We might as well get going," Laxus tells Jellal. "Mira's not coming."

"I told you so," I mutter under my breath. "Mirajane and I may not be enemies, but we're not exactly friends either."

"You should be," replies Laxus much to my outrage. "You and Mira are very similar. Smart, sneaky, kind-hearted-"

"-and vicious when angry!" Gray adds.

"Why is he coming with us?"Natsu whines, throwing a dirty look at his roommate.

"Because" Jellal explains. "he's a friend."

"WHAT? Ever since when-"

"Can we just go?" Lucy asks, throwing the last bag into the trunk of Gajeel's minivan. The bright red car is surprisingly roomy; a useful characteristic considering we're going to squeeze a ton of people in the back.

"What about Levy?" Jellal asks as he slides into the driver's seat and starts the ignition.

"She's not coming," Gajeel replies. Rolling his eyes, he snorts, "Some sort of optional exam thingy coming up."

"Right. You coming?"

"Nah. I'm going to visit Levy's parents tomorrow."

"First time?" I ask.

"First time." He shudders. "Do you think they'll like my hair?"

The piercings are what he should be worried about...

"Obviously," I say, tugging on a strand of his long hair. "Otherwise they have poor taste." Confident Gajeel has been comforted, I climb into the minivan with the others. We wave our goodbyes as Jellal pulls out the emptying parking lot.

~ ~ ~

The first of the winter snowfall arrives the moment we enter the driveway of the luxurious Fernandes' home. The daunting ebony gates clang closed behind us as Jellal drives the vehicle down the twisty path. He parks under a white overhang near the side of the house.

"Why bother staying in the dorms when your house is so close by?" Natsu exclaims, leaping out of the stopped car and taking in the vast expanse.

"For the experience," Jellal says simply. He pulls out the keys from his pocket and walks to the front door. "Ultear will be arriving in a few hours. She had to meet with a professor."

"Isn't it lonely having no neighbors?" I ask, watching as he unlocks the door with ease.

"Kind of. But when you have a twin brother and a younger sister, you need all the space you can get." He smiles after a moment. "You're an only child. You wouldn't understand."