18:00

What needs a key besides a lock?

The silver button glints dangerously on the palm of my hand.

That's the last thing I see before all goes black.

~ ~ ~

Sorry, I guess I was being a little overdramatic. I'm not dead- it's just that uni's having a power outage. Again. One of the many downsides of having a school under renovation.

"Dammit!" Lucy shouts, banging her hand against our table. 

"That table cost twenty-three dollars and fifty-seven cents," I reply pointedly. I'm lying sprawled across Lucy's bed because what else are you supposed to do when the electricity stops working?

"Do we happen to own a flashlight?" she asks in a dull voice.

"Uh..I don't think so." We stay silent as we soak in our stupidity. Neither of us dares to move because what if we tripped and fell and broke a bone? Just imagine how much medical fees cost...

"It's seriously getting creepy. We don't have a lantern or anything? Do you have your phone? I left my phone on the counter."

"I think I misplaced my phone."

"Again?"

"Don't worry. It's somewhere in this room."

"Erza!"

"Okay! I got this!" I leap out of the bed and fumble for my shoes. Once I've located them, I carefully slide the sneakers onto my feet.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asks, her voice anxious.

"Nowhere." I stamp my feet, one by one, against the floor.

"What the-"

"Light up Skechers," I announce proudly, and sure enough, the soles of my shoes begin to glow a bright pink.

~ ~ ~

With a bit of convincing, my floormates manage to convince our RA to allow us to wander the dorm halls. It's awfully boring sitting in your dorm, especially when Wi-fi is nonexistent. With a little help from my light up Skechers, Lucy and I search for Ultear's room. Bits of light flicker across the pale dorm walls.

"Room 2215," Lucy murmurs, pointing at a plaque next to a wooden door. "I think this is her's..."

"You think she'll be in there?" I ask. "What if she's out in the hall?"

"No way. I bet you fifty jewels she's listening to protocol and staying in her room. She's the only sane one in our group. Along with Jellal and Levy."

"I thought opposites attracted," I say, so softly Lucy doesn't hear. The blonde-haired girl raps her knuckle against the door.

What needs a key besides a lock?  

A pink-haired girl greets us with a flashlight.

"Hi! I'm Meredy. I'm guessing you're looking for Ultear?"

"Yeah." I smile in return. "I'm Erza. And this is my friend, Lucy."

"Erza and Lucy. I've heard of you two." The girl looks over her shoulder. "I would invite you in, but Ultear is asleep."

"Asleep? Wow, she must be a really deep sleeper!" Lucy exclaims brightly. "Well, tell her we stopped by."

Meredy nods in agreement and closes the door.

"Where to next? How about...Levy!"

Levy is one of the few girls I know that stay in a single person dorm room. According to the bluenette, it has its perks, but it can get lonely.

"Why exactly are we traveling door to door like it's Halloween?" I ask, rubbing my eyes sleepily. "There may have been a power outage, but that doesn't mean there's no class tomorrow. Plus, it's like, what? Ten o'clock?"

Lucy looks saddened by my words. "Aww...I wanted to have a party! We could eat s'mores!"

"How would you roast the marshmallows?" 

"No clue...but still..."

"I'm heading back to our room." I tap my toe against the floor, causing my Skechers to light up once more. "See you tomorrow?"

"Okay." Lucy gives me a little wave and quickly chases after one of the flashlight-wielding girls.

~ ~ ~

What needs a key besides a lock? 

I unlock our room and feel my way around the furniture before heaving myself into bed and pulling up the covers. It's oddly silent without the hum of the heater. 

My phone rings and I reluctantly pick it up. 

It's Jellal.

"Hi," I say.

"Hey. Is your dorm without power, too?" Jellal asks.

"Yup."

"Listen, Erza. I'm sorry about what happened last night."  the boy says after a few moments of silence.

"It's okay. Just promise me something."

"Yeah?"

"Promise me you won't get drunk again. I hate dealing with my friends when they're drunk. It's like...they're a completely different person." 

He doesn't speak so I continue.

"And then, sometimes, they're so drunk, they go spilling all their secrets. Do you know how much that sucks? Not only do I have to carry the burden of my own secrets, I have to hide theirs too."

"You're right." Another pause. "I promise."

"Thanks," I whisper. I burrow deeper under my blanket. "Jellal? What if someone isn't who you think they are?"

"Is this your deep, dark secret? Don't tell me...you're Lisanna's murderer?"

I'm not sure whether to be offended or not. "No, of course not. It's just...I've been reading this book..."

"The Firefly Effect? The one by Makarov Dreyar?"  he asks. Something rustles on his end. 

"Y-Yeah. Have you read it?"

"Haven't got the chance. It's about the mechanics of the human heart, right?"

"Mhmm. It's a pretty decent read. You should...take a look at it." My heart is pounding with fear. Am I being too obvious? Or too subtle?

"Alright. I'll give it a try."  I hear Laxus' voice in the background. "Laxus says I'm being too loud. Guess I'll have to hang up. 'Night, Erza."

"Wait!"

"Yeah?"

"What needs a key besides a lock?" I blurt out.

He doesn't even hesitate. "That's pretty obvious, isn't it? A map."