THREE.

___

___

BRIAR WOKE UP COLD and in pain. She was lying on the table next to Gale, stomach down with her entire back exposed. A layer of snow covered her wounds, and the dusty, cold air around her went right up her nose, causing Briar to let out a small sneeze. It made her head pound harder.

"Did you just sneeze on me?" Gale asked weakly. His voice was deep, and it rasped in his throat. They were so close that Briar could feel his hot breath warm up the tip of her red nose.

His comment made Briar smile, "if you're expecting an apology, you're not getting one."

They were silent for a while, and Briar had thought Gale went back to sleep. But she was proved wrong when he began talking, "you shouldn't have interfered."

"Well I did." Briar said stubbornly, rolling her dull eyes.

Gale coughed lightly, and his voice came out raspy, "why? You were just about ready to claw my eyes out just two weeks ago when we met."

  "Why'd you tackle the peacekeeper?" Briar retaliated. "I could've taken a couple of blows."

"Come on, Princess." Gale laughed lightly. "A simple thank you would be nice."

"I could say the same to you, Hawthorne."

___

Another two weeks went by, and they were probably the best two weeks of Briar's life. She was up on her feet after four days, and Gale after seven. They still bickered constantly, but at least they could be in the same room as each other. Katniss and Gale took Briar out to the woods, and they taught her how to hunt. To both Katniss and Gale's surprise, Briar was excellent at throwing knives. Her aim was comparable Katniss'.

Peeta taught Briar how to bake, and although she was horrible at it, Peeta was sweet and encouraging the entire time. They would bake breads and muffins and Briar, Katniss, and Gale would hand them out on the streets when the peacekeepers weren't looking. It was the most Briar had ever seen everyone laugh, even Katniss and Gale shared a giggles.

But of course, all good things must come to an end.

"Ladies and gentlemen this is the 75th year of the hunger games. And it was written in the charter of the games that every 25 years there would be a quarter quell, to keep fresh for each new generation." President Snow recited on the giant screen in the square of District 12. Everyone had been given the day off of work to watch the announcement of the third Quarter Quell. Everyone had gathered in the square, except for Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch, who watched the broadcast from the comfort of their homes.

Briar looked around for Gale in the crowd, and she easily found his messy haired head poking out above everyone else's due to his tall frame. She made way for him, pushing past the many citizens while keeping her head down and covered by her hood. As soon as Gale spotted her, he huffed at her stupidity. He whispered, "what the hell are you doing here? Someone's going to see you!"

Briar only winked at him and turned back to the screen that broadcasted her grandfather.

"Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by games of special significance, and now on this the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the third Quarter Quell. As a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol."

Even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol.

Briar frowned. Something was off...

"On this the third Quarter Quell games, the male and female tributes are to be reaped... from the existing pool of victors in each district. And as a thank you from the Capitol to the Districts, I myself have hand picked two tributes from the Capitol. For the men, Roman Caper. And for the ladies, I am proud to present my granddaughter, Briar Snow."

The entire square was silent. Briar's hand slapped over her mouth to muffle her gasp, and with her other hand over her stomach, she collapsed to her knees, not caring who saw her face. Gale was positioned himself in front of her, so that her face was hidden.

Briar knew Snow would get his revenge, but to send her to the Games with her best friend was cruel. The fear and terror slowly melted into a burning hatred for the President, and Briar promised to herself that she would not, under any circumstance, let Snow win.

___

"GOOD EVENING, PRINCESS." Haymitch greeted Briar as she entered his house with her arms crossed over her chest defiantly. Haymitch mocked Briar's Capitol accent, "here to cry into my shoulder?"

"Whatever you're planning, I want in."

Haymitch chuckled, amused by Briar's statement, "that was good, really intimidating, sweetheart. Do it again."

  "Haymitch." Briar said, clenching her fists. "I want in."

Haymitch's smile fell and he leaned towards her in his chair, "I don't know what you're talking about."

  "Don't pull that bullshit with me, Haymitch. I was born and raised in the Capitol, in the damn Presidents mansion. I know all about the rebellions, and I know about the Mockingjay thing." Briar stated, and then repeated herself. "Whatever you're planning, I want in."

Haymitch picked up a glass bottle from his desk, swishing it around before taking a swig, "sorry, Rosie. You'll have to ask Papa Snow—"

Briar slammed her fist down onto Haymitch's desk, causing him to flinch ever-so-slightly. She snatched the bottle of alcohol and splashed it in his face. Haymitch yelled and brought his hands to his eyes. Briar continued talking, "thirteen years ago, you won the Games. Snow made me place the crown on top of your head, and even as the innocent four-year-old that I was, I looked into your eyes and saw a burning hatred towards the Capitol."

     "You ever think of writing poems, Princess?"

Briar ignored the man's comment, "no one hates the Capitol more than the Victors, Haymitch. You and I know that perfectly well, so instead of playing dumb, how about you get off your drunk ass and get me in on the plan."

The two were silent for a couple moments, in which the sopping wet Haymitch glared into Briar's intense green eyes. And then he finally agreed.

"Fine." Haymitch said through a clenched jaw. "But no more of that splashy thing you just pulled."

Briar's entire tough exterior came falling down as relief washed over her expressions. Haymitch could clearly see the fear in her glassy eyes, and he stood up from his desk, "come here."

He engulfed the brunette in his arms, and she broke down into sobs, the fresh tears rolling down her cheeks.

"That Roman kid was your friend, wasn't he?"

The thought of Roman in the Games with her made Briar sob harder. It was all her fault that he was in the Games, it was all her fault.

Haymitch stroked Briar's bronze hair softly until she calmed down, and then he sat her in his chair, "come on. Let's get you in on that plan."