FIVE.

"everything will be different because it's a quarter quell. the capitol has spared no expense. a new training centre, a new tribute living quarters, and of course a very special arena. but this year you'll be facing other victors capitol favourites. smart, cunning, skilled. and they all know one another. you four are the outsiders."

___

KATNISS, PEETA, BRIAR, and Roman all sat on couches in the lounge area. Haymitch was pacing, "I want you guys to forget everything you think you knew about the games. Last year was child's play. This year you're all dealing with all experienced killers."

"What's that mean for us?" Briar asked. She was sharing a couch with Roman, her legs folded in criss-cross apple sauce position. She had just woken up, sleep evident in her knotted hair puffy face.

Haymitch pointed at her, "that means you're gonna have to have some allies."

"Okay." Peeta nodded in agreement. "I think that if we—"

  "Whoa, whoa, you're not the problem here." Haymitch said, sticking his finger on top of Katniss' head. Briar envied her glossy brown locks. It was as if she woke up from a photo shoot.

Katniss said immediately, "no."

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years," Haymitch reminded her, and Katniss rolled her eyes.

"That just puts us higher in their kill list!"

Haymitch sighed irritably, "do it your own way, but I know these people. You're going alone, their first move is to gonna be to hunt you down."

Peeta looked at Katniss pleadingly, "Katniss come on."

But Katniss wasn't having any of it and she shook her head disbelievingly, "how could any of us trust each other?"

"It's not about trust," Haymitch reminded. "It's about staying alive."

___

BRIAR STEPPED OUT of the elevator in her metallic gold dress. It was overall a simple dress, Cinna wanted to reflect the fanatic couture of the Capitol by dressing Briar and Roman in the most simple outfits he could. Briar's dress had a thin black belt tied around her waist, and her heels were a glossy black with red soles. Her makeup was minimal, with her lips painted blood red and her cheeks bronzed to the max.

  "You look like a trophy."

Briar rolled her eyes at Roman's remark. She reached their jet black chariot that was going to be pulled by two white horses. Frankly, Roman didn't look any less like a 'trophy'. He wore a gold suit with a crisp white dress shirt and black trousers. His gold shoes mimicked their gold theme, and the red soles stood out.

Briar stroked the horse, feeling it's soft white coat underneath her freshly manicured hands. Roman tossed her a sugar cube, and Briar fed it to her horse, placing kisses to its muzzle.

  "How are you feeling?" Cinna asked, approaching their chariot. "You guys are the first ones out there, so usually, your job is to please the crowd and get them excited."

Roman frowned, "usually?"

  "This year is different," Cinna continued. "I don't want you guys waving or smiling, just look straight ahead and don't fall."