Six

The walk home was quiet, but not exactly uncomfortable. Every now and then I'd steal a glance at Kyōtani, seeing him watching my dog lope along between us with a neutral expression. At least he doesn't look agitated for once. A twenty minute walk eventually led us to my cul-de-sac and he followed me down to my house at the end. It was a pretty area; trees and shrubbery lining the space between houses, and there was a lake close by that was usually void of people; one of my favourite places. Definitely a wonderful place for a person like me to live. Kyōtani paused at the gate and I looked up at him in question.

“What's wrong?” I noticed his brow was furrowed.

“Um...Won't your parents...like...not want me here?” His voice was gravelly, but quiet, and the look on his face made me frown.

“Why would you think that? They won't mind one bit, so hurry up. I gotta put some of this crap in the fridge.” I held the gate open with my foot as he walked past. He had a somewhat cautious aura about him, and I couldn't get my head around it. My darling Mastiff came hurtling around the corner, drool trailing from his droopy jowls as he greeted us, taking time to sniff at Kyōtani’s heels. “That's Gōra. Don't mind him...he's a chihuahua in a brutes body.” I chuckled, leading him up the steps. “We're home! I brought a guest!” I announced as we walked inside, placing the bags in the hallway.

“Guest? Please don't tell me it's that pansy athlete guy that stopped by the other week!” My mother popped her head out from the kitchen. “Oh, thank goodness!” I snickered before motioning to Kyōtani.

“This is my friend, Kyōtani, from the same club as Pansykawa. He helped me carry all of this crap back from the store.” The boy bowed, which took my by surprise.

“Hello…” He greeted meekly. My mother smiled and wandered out; a tea towel slung over her shoulder.

“Nice to meet you, Kyōtani-Kun! You can just call me (Mothers Name). I'll sort this out, honey. You two go relax. Your father really should have mentioned there was this much!” I smiled and turned to Kyōtani, grabbing him by the wrist. He flinched, looking startled as I pulled him through the house and out to the backyard.

“You like puppies, right?” I asked him over my shoulder. He was almost a dead weight as I dragged him.

“Yes…” He murmured cautiously. I just smiled as I walked towards the center of the yard, before stopping and turning to him, finally letting go of the flustered boy.

“Whistle.” I ordered, eager to see his reaction. He looked at me as though I was an alien, but brought his fingers to his lips, belting out a surprisingly piercing trill. I simply watched him as the five puppies came scrambling out from behind the shed, yapping and barking as they dashed towards us. Oh, how his eyes lit up! He turned to me and the faint beginnings of a smile pulled at the corners of his mouth.

“Can I…?” He looked like he was holding in his excitement, and I nodded, grinning with my hands behind my back.

“Why do you think I brought you out here?” He smiled. He actually smiled at me as he bent down and was almost bowled over by the wave of black and tan fur. It was a precious sight. I sat down, giggling as two of the pups sprung over to me and yipped, nuzzling into my hands as I gave them attention. The Mad Dog had softened completely in the presence of the puppies, making sure each and every one got enough attention. My heart felt warm as I watched them interact.

“Why do they all have bandages?” He asked after a while, voice still timid.

“Illegal cropping and docking. Whoever had them before was into that trend. Slicing the ears to make them stand up and cutting the tails off. Apparently they look better, but it's just plain cruel...not to mention painful…” I sighed, and he frowned, looking rather distressed by my answer.

“That's fucked…” He muttered, picking up one of the puppies very gently and placing it in his lap. It had such a grumpy look on its face, despite licking the palm of the boys hand and nudging into his stomach. I couldn't help but stifle a laugh and he looked over to me, cocking a brow. “What?” I bit my lip, making slight snorting sounds as I tried to compose myself.

“He looks like you...like he's cranky all the time…I thought that when we got them the other day...but now that I'm seeing you side by side…” I burst into an uncontrollable laughing fit, and Kyōtani just glared at me. It wasn't entirely angry, and it just added to my laughter. It took me a while to calm down, and I wiped the tears from my eyes. “So, do you have a dog?” He shook his head, not looking up from his doppelganger puppy.

“No. My mother says I can only get one if I stop getting in trouble at school…” He murmured. I sighed and laid back onto the grass.

“Well, why don't you try to? I mean...You're really not pleasant at club…No offense…”

“I know…” He leant back, bringing the grumpy puppy with him to rest on his chest. “I don't like people. I get angry…People are stupid...” I couldn't believe he was being so honest with me. Maybe dogs were the key to bringing his walls down?

“I can relate...but there are other ways to deal with people...I'm rude, but I just try to picture everyone as dogs…It's dumb but it helps!” I chuckled, blindly patting the bundle of puppies beside me.

“It's not dumb…” I turned to Kyōtani, who was just staring at the dog on his chest, which had made itself quite comfortable. He coughed and sat up, slowly placing the puppy; now whining in complaint, down with its siblings. “I have to go…” I followed suit, brushing the grass from my jeans. He startled walking towards the side gate and I raced to catch up with him.

“Hey, Kyōtani-Kun!” He paused, turning to me but not catching my eye.

“Mmm?” He looked a little distracted. I stopped a few feet away and smiled.

“You're welcome to come visit the dogs any time you want. Just let yourself in as long as you close the gate.” He looked a bit thrown by my offer, but gave me a short nod.

“Th..thanks…” He turned and left, leaving me standing there watching after him. He really wasn't a bad kid, that was for sure. I just didn't know why he acted the way he did. So many pieces missing from a seemingly impossible puzzle.

***well at this point I'm glad I got a single view! Hahaha, I've never written a X Reader before, so this is all new territory for me, so I don't expect many readers!***