Fifteen

*Time Skip - 2 months*

The next couple of months flew by before I knew it. An awkward interview with the principal ensured that the vice captain of Ubugawa would be punished for his attack, I continued going to support Kyōtani at Volleyball practice, and best of all, our friendship had strengthened. He was still not much of a talker, but he would give me small smiles and hang out while I trained Kirā, who had already started to grow into his gangly limbs. Things were going great...until the middle of November…

“Senpai…” Iwaizumi glanced over his shoulder to see Kyōtani approaching, hands in his pockets. It was lunch break, and he had followed the third year to the cafeteria.

“Kyōtani-Kun? What's up?” Iwaizumi swivelled around and gave his junior a smile. He'd learned early on to greet them kindly, otherwise they'd be thrown off by his resting bitch face.

“Um...do you know why (Y/N)-Chan isn't at school today?” The boy asked quietly, mumbling his words.
“She isn't? She never misses school…” Iwa’s brow creased a little.

“I know.” Kyōtani shifted uncomfortably as he waited and hoped for an answer.
“Maybe she's sick? I'll go to her place after practice and check in on her.” Iwa said, turning to head towards the line to the counter.

“No. I'll do it.” Kyōtani said firmly, turning and walking away before his upperclassman could respond.

He's got it bad… Iwa smirked a little as he watched him leave.

------------------------------------

*Kyōtani POV*

“Is (Y/N)-Chan home?” I had literally sprinted from the school to her house in hopes to see her with just a cold, or maybe even the flu. Her mother shook her head, a worried frown creasing her usually chipper features.

“Sorry, dear, but she ran off this morning…” She started, sighing as she rubbed her temple. “Her dog jumped the fence and tried to chase after her when she was leaving for school and...the man across the street didn't have his eyes on the road…So Fuji...” She trailed off into a heavy sigh, shoulders slumping.

Fuck...No...this would destroy her…

“She died...didn't she, (L/N)-San?” My voice was quiet, quavering slightly as I already knew the answer. She nodded, giving me the confirmation I didn't really need.

“Yes...the actual hit didn't kill her...but the vet said the only option would be to put her out of her misery...I've never seen my little girl so distraught...We waited outside the room at the clinic and she just burst out, crying and running off...We have no idea where she is…I thought maybe she went to find you…” My chest tightened, fear rising in my gut as I tried to keep myself composed.

“I'll look for her. Please don't worry, (L/N)-San. I'll bring her home…” I didn't stay long enough for a response. I flew back down the steps and ran off towards the tall, black pines that towered behind the cul-de-sac.

Please be there, (Y/N)-Chan…!

*Return to Your POV*

The wind hissed through the gnarled branches, causing my skin to ripple with goosebumps. I sat with my head on my knees, numb to the late autumn chill that threatened at least a week of coughing fits and bed rest. I didn't care. My eyes stung and my chest felt hollow. The grass I was seated upon was frosty and damp, seeping through the thin material of my uniform skirt to my underwear. I had lost my best friend, and I could do nothing to remove the last images of her from my mind. Twisted limbs and matted fur; a yelping, agonised mess that hardly resembled my precious Fuji. Her blood still stained my off-white shirt; dark and emitting a painful metallic scent, which kept me trapped deep within my lament.