Peaceful days.

Hope you have a great day ahead! I can't even thank you guys enough for the immense support on my first book ever. We're close to 2k votes already and we're still only halfway through the story! Huge love to everyone who takes time to read my first sloppy attempt at writing. :)

...

Even though he had to face his first love everyday, while both of them were married to different men, who by the way, were cousins, Louis would still say his life was going pretty good.

His husband was finally opening up to him, Victor had finally moved on from him, found love and was engaged, he paid visits to his family every now and then and-

Wow. Everything seemed perfect.

Alas, perfection is a myth.

And this was only the calm before the storm. Or so he would find out.

A really horrible storm.

...

"Louis."

"Victor." He acknowledged his friend.

"How are you?" Victor asked, looking sheepish.

Louis gave him a slight smile that didn't really reach his eyes. "I'm fine, never been better."

"Oh."

For the first time in their friendship, the atmosphere between them was tense.

"I guess I ought to congratulate you again on your upcoming wedding." Louis said suddenly. "I'm happy for you." He added sincerely.

"I'm sorry you had to find out so suddenly-"

"Its okay, Victor. Your love life is none of my business." He said calmly.

To his surprise, Victor laughed. A dry laugh without humor.

"Of course. I was foolish to think... to think that..." He shook his head and looked away.

Louis was taken aback. He felt that his suspicions about the sudden engagement were true after all.

"Are you... not h-happy with your marriage?" He asked cautiously.

"Does it even matter?" Victor gave a wry smile.

"Of course it does! Marriage isn't something trivial! You don't marry someone you don't love!" Louis exclaimed.

"Is that not exactly what you did, Louis?" Victor looked at the flowers sorrounding them.

Louis was at a loss of words.

His friend continued, "I loved you, but you didn't marry me, Louis." He picked at a lonely flower that had grown in a bush.

"Where are you leading this, Victor? You know if I had a choice, I would have married you without a second thought." He rubbed his arms. The weather was getting cold in the evening. "Please don't talk about the past. Especially now that you have somebody to love... Please, let's be loyal..."

Victor picked the flower out, ignoring the thorns that pricked his hands and made it bleed a little. "Funny that this statement comes from you." Louis looked up at him sharply. "You weren't loyal to me, were you, love?"

"Shut up Victor! I don't know what has gotten into you! You're not yourself. You know what the circumstances were and yet you... What happened to the cheerful Victor that was my best friend?" Louis shook his head in disbelief.

"I don't know where the happy Victor went." The flower was crushed in his bleeding hands.

"What are you hiding Victor?" Louis demanded. "Your marriage to Henry...
Is it even real? You're not happy at all..."

"Yes." Victor replied. "And no. Yes, my marriage is real. No, I'm not happy." Louis only looked at him confused. He let out a snort. "I just can't get over you. Your eyes, your smile, your kindness, you... your everything..."

He let the flower in his hands go. It landed on the ground, bloody. "Look at me, pathetic. I have a fiance and here I am, pining over you." He turned and looked Louis in the eyes. "Be my friend again, Louis. I need a friend in this huge castle."

Maybe I'll get over you someday.

Louis nodded vigorously. "Likewise." Then he thought something and hugged his friend tightly. "I'm glad that you're trying. And I know you will eventually grow to love Henry."

He stepped back and Victor gave him a genuine smile in what seemed like a century. He gave him a childish thumbs up and ran back to the castle, waving.

Victor sighed.

The flower was beautiful.

...

Louis was satisfied with Victor's smile. He knew his friend would try his hardest to make his marriage work, just like him. Although he was hiding the real reason for his sudden engagement, it didn't matter.

He sat on the sofa, doing nothing but relaxing and drinking his favourite tea.

Sometimes, you just accepted your fate.

There was a knock on his door. He frowned. Benjamin doesn't knock.

Who could it be? Oh it could be just the Queen.

"Come in, its open!" He called out and started sipping his tea again.

"Prince Louis." He looked up as the door opened and shut again and a servant entered. The butler looked newly appointed. He had never seen him around before. Strange.

"What is it?" He asked and stood up with his cup in hand.

Instead of replying the butler just walked over to him. He frowned.

"What do you wan-"

It happened in a flash. Before he had the time to react, the butler had striked his neck and he immediately blacked out.

His cup crashed to the floor. Tea spilled on his carpet.

"Tch. Naive boy."

...

Finally, we're into the main plot! Stay tuned!

Victor is a angst filled teen. No kidding.

Who is this butler? What is he doing?

Next chapter we'll see Benjamin's side of things. Hopefully it will be good. Spam with comments! ❤